Victorian Miners Right information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
midlifecrisis said:
Hi Buzz, when I rang them I was told there agents had been told of the new prices but the web has not been updated yet (staff on holidays)
We all may need to band together and join the PMAV

I highly recommend that you all join our wonderful association. Out of all the Prospectors who hold a miners rights in Victoria, which is now way over 6200, only roughly 3100 are members of the PMAV. We have seven wonderful branches that meet up on a monthly basis. You can attend any of those branch meet ups.

I hope it's just the case of the Minerals & Resources site being on holidays, hence no one is there to maintain the website and not to let all of us know that something is going to happen.

I will be in touch with our President Rita Bentley. So I will get back to,you all with an update.

But I do stress once again, that please join our association. Get behind us so that we won't get our Parks closed down, we won't get current areas closed down from this wonderful hobby that we hold in our hearts so dearly.

It's less than a dollar a day. $50 for an immediate family/ single person working or $30 for immediate family/ or Pensioner. You can download a form from our website or email me at [email protected] and I can send you one via email.

Cheers

Lynnie Hindle
PMAV President
Bendigo Branch

Thanks Lynnie for your post in this thread regarding this matter.
I know we all appreciate that this matter has now come to your attention, and we thank you for taking the time out.

As you can see there is a lot of concern from members of the forum as to whats actually going on.

We look forward to your updates here once things become clearer through any contact you may have with Rita.

Lads, Lynnie is right....Lets all get behind the PMAV and show our support for them.

This is only the beginning.

Wayne
PMAV member

I have just been in contact with our PMAV president Rita Bentley. Rita has informed me of the following. I wish to post her comments here. But you should still all join our wonderful association anyway :D :D

It has been explained to me as a review of cost recovery. Minerals and Energy are only allowed to cover the costs of administration, which is obviously minimal for Miners Rights. I had suggested that they might like to take a broader approach as the greenie opposition were spouting how we are a drain on management resources. I was told that they couldn't. As far as I am aware there is no further move to restrict our access, but remain watchful and vigilant in this regard. I have forwarded concerns to government and await a response.But join the PMAV anyway!

Cheers

Lynnie Hindle
PMAV President
Bendigo branch

G'day Lynnie,

Thanks for posting this info. I live in SA and am yet to join PMAV. I guess there are no problemos with interstaters supporting your organisation? I have only ever prospected in VIC so I guess I should join up as I hope I can continue to enjoy VICs current prospecting laws for many years to come. The only way I can help this happen is by joining you guys I gather.

Cheers

MJB said:
G'day Lynnie,

Thanks for posting this info. I live in SA and am yet to join PMAV. I guess there are no problemos with interstaters supporting your organisation? I have only ever prospected in VIC so I guess I should join up as I hope I can continue to enjoy VICs current prospecting laws for many years to come. The only way I can help this happen is by joining you guys I gather.

Cheers

Hi there,

There are no problems of interstate prospectors joining our wonderful association at all. Many prospectors who reside in other states are members with PMAV. You can go to www.pmav.org.au to download a membership form. There still may be website issues with smart phones, ipads etc. There were issues with flash player and java platform. So jump on a desktop or lap top computer and download the pdf file there.

I can email you a form if you like. Send me a private message with your email address.

Thanks for your support

Lynnie

kickstarter said:
Whats the website to order one please?

Gidday Kickstarter,

you can go to www.pmav.org and download a membership form there. If you have any trouble accessing the site, please let me know and I can email you a form

cheers

Lynnie

Puddler Bill said:
Lynnie,
I have been involved in fighting Govt. departments since the 80's with regards to mining issues, many as a PMAV member and office bearer. The big issue I have is that the PMAV has well and truly made known their political allegiance to the Liberal Party a few years back when the President stood for pre-selection for a seat in Melbourne. The same party who shafted us before the last state election.
So there is no way we will get fair treatment from the Labour / Green alliance.
I did suggest to the PMAV President in writing that the PMAV should form a political party. It is THE ONLY WAY we have a chance of getting our plight known. I sent a well informed letter offering suggestions to this effect and didn't even get the courtesy of a reply.
Lobby groups as such get brushed aside by Government Departments.
I would challenge anyone to show me anything the PMAV has won in many years. It's not a criticism of the PMAV, rather a statement of the obvious. Lobby groups don't work, just ask the Mountain Cattlemen's Association.
What we are up against is a well oiled machine known as the Victorian National Parks Association. They get funding from many areas but one of the main fund givers is the Victorian Branch of the Australian Labour Party. The VNPA makes suggestions, and as a not for profit group get funding for researchers to provide them with the information they need to get what they want.
The Shooters Party, the Motoring Party, and other minority groups realised this and are now being heard in Parliament. Even the bloody sex party get a seat.
As I have said, THE ONLY WAY TO BEAT THESE GROUPS THAT OPPOSE PROSPECTING is to form a political party. I would happily stand in my electorate at the next state election. Its as much about creating awareness of Prospecting as a recreational pastime, as it is winning votes.
If you think I am being harsh here, and some of you will, which is fine, I am saying this because for too many years we have relied on banner waving, and other stunts like that to get noticed.
And has it worked? NO it hasn't. We lost dredging, we are losing access to National Parks, we may lose sluicing in all Parks and possibly in totality.
The PMAV President is 100 percent wrong when she says she knows of no plans to restrict access for prospectors. It is well documented that as a result of the VEAC inquiry into new prospecting areas in National Parks, the Veac findings says quite clearly that there will be restrictions on equipment used, and removing access to areas such as the Woolshed Valley, and other national parks are likely.
I spoke to a Ranger in Charge a few days back, and he indicated that there were changes which would affect us. he wouldn't say what but when I showed him a proposal to run some activities in a Park in my area, he said he would have no problem with a history tour, but couldn't approve a prospecting tour.
That says it all.
The next State Election is just under 4 years away. So if you are really serious you will give this some serious thought.

Gidday Puddler Bill,

I agree where you are coming from mate. You need to contact Rita personally and discuss this with her. we need to get our word out to other prospectors about these issues. I am happy to help out where I can. Most parks do have a fossickers licence and I know that PMAV do.

Give Rita a ring so she can put some thoughts into plan

Cheers

Lynnie

So many numbers so little bite. I'm glad you've expressed what you have Puddler Bill. Blindly supporting a lobby group hoping for change has been the option, but as you rightly point out has achieved little. In some instances the PMAV do great work, but as a lobby group it's been a dismal driver of change. It's a fact. When submissions were entered and discussed, and I'm on shakey ground here, I interpret what occurred as a disaster, on prospectors behalf they didn't go in boots and all, obviously got brow beaten into submission when they sat on advisory, and yet PMAV claimed a win! How is it winning when you end up with less?

It is that sort of backwards ineffectiveness that made me rethink my support. After a couple of pmav meetings I attended I lost interest. I was expecting some vigor and drive, ideas and action. I left the first one with my ears nearly bleeding about the bloody bash, someone claiming credit for another's idea but without a plan and purpose to implement it, and what appeared to be alot of shoulder shrugging about the Veac report. I couldn't take a membership based on that. The Union where I work is more bloody organized. I decided then my cash would be better spent taking a morning of work to speak to the local state member and the bloke who intended to run against her.

I don't want to bash them, they do indeed do some good, they just didn't have the political drive or effectiveness to convince me they could change or influence the political tide that had turned against us again, and that is a shame. So I looked at ways to beat the politicians and Government departments at their own game, had a look at the new areas they were proposing, and kept on digging. If we ever hope to keep (and dare I say claw back) our rights it will be to become political. And even then it's probably a long upward climb, after all the party's seem pretty proficient in dumping previous policies once the election is done and dusted for another term.

Goldtarget said:
So many numbers so little bite. I'm glad you've expressed what you have Puddler Bill. Blindly supporting a lobby group hoping for change has been the option, but as you rightly point out has achieved little. In some instances the PMAV do great work, but as a lobby group it's been a dismal driver of change. It's a fact. When submissions were entered and discussed, and I'm on shakey ground here, I interpret what occurred as a disaster, on prospectors behalf they didn't go in boots and all, obviously got brow beaten into submission when they sat on advisory, and yet PMAV claimed a win! How is it winning when you end up with less?

It is that sort of backwards ineffectiveness that made me rethink my support. After a couple of pmav meetings I attended I lost interest. I was expecting some vigor and drive, ideas and action. I left the first one with my ears nearly bleeding about the bloody bash, someone claiming credit for another's idea but without a plan and purpose to implement it, and what appeared to be alot of shoulder shrugging about the Veac report. I couldn't take a membership based on that. The Union where I work is more bloody organized. I decided then my cash would be better spent taking a morning of work to speak to the local state member and the bloke who intended to run against her.

I don't want to bash them, they do indeed do some good, they just didn't have the political drive or effectiveness to convince me they could change or influence the political tide that had turned against us again, and that is a shame. So I looked at ways to beat the politicians and Government departments at their own game, had a look at the new areas they were proposing, and kept on digging. If we ever hope to keep (and dare I say claw back) our rights it will be to become political. And even then it's probably a long upward climb, after all the party's seem pretty proficient in dumping previous policies once the election is done and dusted for another term.

spot on m8 :)

Goldtarget said:

re Goldtarget and Puddler Bill

Yup .

too much meek subservience from this level , and as you say , you need to position yourself into a chair where you have power and willingness to apply it in the right direction.

Govt throws huge amounts of taxpayers money at almost any dedshet who applies for it.

Has it been the case during the Gillard phenomenon that "womens support groups" were given govt "grants" of tens of millions of dollars for no publicly definable reason ?

strap on a dress , apply for $ 2.3 million in funding to put on a cup of tea and biscuits for senior citizens in Pa*******a , NSW once a month , and you might be surprised to find that you overqualify many of the previously successful applicants under all governments including current and previous stretching back decades.

Getting off butts and knocking on the right doors with the right knowledge can bring success to us.

I guess the other thing we could do is like puddler bill said kick up a big stir on what exactly we do and involve the media to show on live tv maybe

or maybe something like the eureka stockade has to happen again but not in the 1850s of course :)

Hunting the yellow said:
I guess the other thing we could do is like puddler bill said kick up a big stir on what exactly we do and involve the media to show on live tv maybe

Its been tried , there is a chance you will influence some opinions and maybe get close to the outcome we want but the only sure fire way to avoid a lottery outcome is to do what PB suggested and to go straight for the seat of power

or maybe something like the eureka stockade has to happen again but not in the 1850s of course :)

look at any protest march and notice that the marchers often get portrayed as ferals , criminals , outcasts due to spindoctoring by politicians , media or police. ( just look at the protests against new highways in VIC )

getting arrested for disturbing the peace doesnt sound like a win to me , and i dont intend getting clubbed to the ground by police while unarmed , beaten unconscious and then charged with assault either. :/

Hunting the yellow said:
what about trying to get together with palmer united party/mining party just an idea ? but not sure
Good thought. My reservations lay with equating prospecting with mining. I don't mean to say that your are incorrect but in my experience mining interests have very little to do with prospecting, insofar as to say in my experiences mining interests don't really care and are sometimes at odds with our interests, but their help may lay within sharing common enemies. That's the reason we get attacked so doggedly though, mining has alot of friends and influence, we do not. Greens and environmental groups just lump us in to push their own agenda. I seriously doubt protesting and evidencing our activities has anything to do with making things better, we are just considered to be an easy target.

redit where credit is due, it's that outside the box thinking that is required, I'm sure any party that didn't disagree with our viewpoint would encourage extra votes, and therefore lend support.

Great discussion guys.
No ego getting in the way just constructive exchange of ideas and thoughts with some hard truths thrown in for clarity.

As has been said protesting ect wont do anything but shoot ourselves in the foot,we dont have the huge numbers to pull of a successful protest it would only backfire.
Political party is the way to go.

Not sure what i could do to help but im sure as hell not going to lose my new found hobby that gets me outside enjoying our countries bushland and rich colorful history.

I have a video of a news (nightly news grab) of deer hunting. It talks about tourism and shows deer hunters to be organized and an asset. Any media we get should be like that. Instead a couple weeks earlier we had a greens member (Jenny O'Connor) spouting about hydraulic sluicing. Not a well informed, well spoken and presented prospector in sight. This on the back of the abc radio local programming asking for comment about the proposed sluicing ban in the immediate segment after taking call back about antimony levels in local water that was alleged to come from a local mining operation. I made an official complaint about that programming decision and broadcast with them based on implied bias. You can't win too many friends with that portrayal of us in the media.

1420855659_img_20150110_130646.jpg

Goldtarget said:

Goldtarget,

You should have spoken up at that meeting mate. The difference with your Union is that they get paid to to their job, we don't. We are all volunteers mate and we all do a damn good job to the most of our abilities. Most of us work full time or part time, have families to attend to also. AND we still have the time to support this bloody awesome association. If you were expecting some vigor and drive, you only had to put your hand up mate and throw some suggestions :lol: :lol:

I applaud you for taking time off work to speak to your local State member. More members should visit their local pollies and give them an ear bash. I know I have. And I presume that "the bloke who intended to run against her", you were referring to Rita Bentley?

Anyway, I have some more important updates from Rita Bentley and Leanne Kamp from Gold & Relics. Stay tuned ;)

Cheers

Lynnie

midlifecrisis said:
A Victorian Miners Right was previously $33.10 for a 2 year and $92.70 for a 10 year Miners Right.

Now, there is no choice, just a 10 year Miners Right which will cost $17.20. We're not complaining!

Their website, however, has not been updated yet to reflect the new prices.

Gidday Midlifecrisis

I have now been in contact with our PMAV President Rita Bentley and also Leanne Kamp, who runs Gold & Relics and also a PMAV member. This is what the latest is on the Miners Rights

This was what Rita was told firstly about the situation :

"It has been explained to me as a review of cost recovery. Minerals and Energy are only allowed to cover the costs of administration, which is obviously minimal for Miners Rights. I had suggested that they might like to take a broader approach as the greenie opposition were spouting how we are a drain on management resources. I was told that they couldn't. As far as I am aware there is no further move to restrict our access, but remain watchful and vigilant in this regard. I have forwarded concerns to government and await a response.But join the PMAV anyway!"

I then had contact with Leanne Kamp. Leanne quoted the following :

My original post is correct. There is a 10 year (and not a 2 year) Miners Right available for $17.20. York Cooke from Earth Resources assures me that the department is working on updating the website. The PMAV have a very good relationship with Earth Resources and York is happy to speak to any prospectors with any queries on 03 90921972."

Rita then told me :

" I have correspondence on file from 2013 which confirms that there will be a continuing 10 year Miners Right and that the price will come down as of 1.1.15. We didn't promote it as I wasn't sure the new Government would follow it through. The PMAV was fully consulted about the proposed changes and had input from both me and Noel Laidlaw representing prospectors and smaller-scale miners. I still believe there is no conspiracy behind these changes as the PMAV has an excellent relationship with Government and is recognised as the representative body for our sector. We have a seat on the Ministerial Advisory Body and will be informed early of any proposed changes.

As I keep saying, we remain vigilant! I also am not sure what to expect from the new Government as we are yet to meet. I was in touch with the head of Department yesterday and the people doing the website update have been given a hurry up. Please all be patient and keep your eye on the website and Facebook. As soon as the change is made I am sure someone will post it!"

So that is the latest on the Miners Rights. I will keep you all posted guys

Cheers

Lynnie

mm,,, :mad: :mad: great I bought a 10 year one in 2013 at around 85 bucks ,,, wonder if we will get refunds or just have to take it in the butt > :eek: :eek:

Latest posts