Victorian Bushfire advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi,

anyone know what we are expecting this summer as we exit winter and into spring and summer time.

methinks we are entering some drier times ahead.

i feel as i was up in dunolly a few weeks ago things are starting to dry out a tad.

plus alot of growth around the places.

does anyone know the situation.

i feel we may be in for a long hot and dry summer and things are starting to warm up here in melbourne too.

more concerns over bushfires and as we know they can be destructive and be horrible.

and if theres been any mitagation like back buring done as this its the time to do before its too late.

time to clear out any growth and time to prepare.

but does anyone know what we are in for this 2023/2024 period.

stay safe

Found the following on the net relevant to this month. El Ninos are typified by long drier and drought like conditions across Australia. What we don't want is a wet spring promoting lots of growth plunging into a dry summer. That could be a bushfire recipe for disaster.

"Australia's Bureau of Meteorology has announced an El Niño event is "likely in the coming weeks", but has again held off declaring that it is underway, despite having satisfied its own criteria.

Key points:​

• The Bureau of Meteorology has held off declaring El Niño for another fortnight, putting it at odds with international weather agencies
  • El Niño development is considered "likely" in the coming weeks, according to the BOM
  • The key atmospheric indicators remain in a mostly neutral state, preventing the declaration

The decision puts the bureau at odds with other international weather agencies, such as the US National Ocean Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the World Meteorological Organization, who have said El Niño is already underway."

that is right geoff
the atmospheric indicators are a bit out of whack (which is one of the main differences from other parts of the world)
a little snippet of why they have not called a el nino event yet
why not.JPG
yep i know geoff , how dry it is up here is getting beyond control
we had a bush fire here yesterday ,we were having crib and base(traffic officer) called us to cut it short and get going as the area the rail corridor travelled through is on the the south side of the fire , the bush fire brigade wished to back burn
they said if we left straight away they would wait till we were clear before lighting up
we went back through there today ,everything is that dry it was almost a scorched earth event
if we stop at one of the sidings there tomorrow i will get some picks

Yep time to plan and prepare for it.

Must say vegetation is drying up quick and any clearing would lessen the fires.

I feel we are in a neutral faze at the moment but feel November things will dry even further and become alot more hotter.

its been years and years that in Victoria in particular has had a really hot and dry summer probably have to go back to say 2013.

Im afraid we are over due for a horrendous bush fire riddled summer.

Lack of awareness for one but also lack of planning by council to mitigate it does not help.

Time is near as well we are in september already.

Will not be long till we get those hot northerlys and hot days and nights again.

Looking like a warm spell for these next few weeks in Vic.

Would not surprise me that the very first fires start up.

I bet no back burns done as its been to wet.

Dicey time for the CFA and alike coming up.

I know mates in NSW that bush fires have already started all along the tablelands and like along the ranges.

I think for Vic will start with the usual grass fires and then onto the bush.

Who still remembers the horroble black saturday bush fires for mine was the worst bush fire disaster ever i think world wide as well.

Some say up the golden triangle in vic that every thing is growning like no tomorrow and like a real heavy overgrowth to every thing. Still things are greener and say in 2 months time 8 weeks will be tinder dry.

People on bush / country blocks, remember.....mow the grass from the house outward..... that way your pushing all the unfriendles away from your house, not trapping them in the long grass close to your house

Latest posts