Victorian aspiring prospector here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello folks, My father recently retired and along with the 4wd and caravan he got himself a couple of pans, classifying trays, sniffer bottle and a pick. I dont think hes ever used any of it but it got me thinking. Then came gold rush alaska on tv and hearing about the gold price and it got me thinking. Turns out the show was a bunch of scripted 'Reality TV' crap and the guys being filmed dont know their ass from a hole in the ground. It did further pique my interest though.

Being in the northern suburbs of Melbourne helps for easy access to goldfields, and im primarily interested in finding river gold.

Ive spent a lot of time watching youtube videos on panning techniques, river sluicing, and many many videos on peoples diy setups. Ive got a few ideas of my own for diy rigs that i hope to post over in the diy area. That gold hog guy has an extraordinary amount of videos, but im not sure whether or not to trust him or if its all just marketing (i know its mostly marketing anyway, but whether its marketing using good info or just a bunch of garbage info designed to impress the inexperienced)

As it is I like the design of the pyramid pro pan for going through large amounts of material without a highbanker, thinking about rigging a bicycle pedal mechanism to do the shaking for me (have a bad back)

I also like the design of the bazooka river slucie/fluid bed designs. The risk is you miss out on nuggets that are too large to big to fit through the classifier (half inch i think in the production models)

I'd also like to build my own gold cube because i dont like the idea of the $500+ price tag for what is otherwise a fairly simple piece of kit. Rubber riffles on a 15 degree slope, underflow/water colum, then repeat * 4

Ive looked a lot at the wifley concentrating tables too and they seem possible (not exactly easy though) to custome build. What i dont have yet though is a lot of concentrate to run through it.

So the plan is, make a pyramid pro out of marine ply, go test some patches, im thinking of looking around eldorado, and should i find colour ill invest a bit more in the ability to process more dirt, and go from there.

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you caught the bug. Good luck with your search for the gold and don't forget to post some pics of your build.

Welcome ITG, using a sluice in the creeks and rivers is great fun, you should have a ball if you're heading out with your father.
As with all 'capture' mats it really relies on having dirt with gold in it to start with, doesn't matter how good/bad they are if you ain't on the gold the mat will be empty. That being said you'll find very quickly the gold is heavy and will get caught in almost anything, some mats/riffle set ups are just a bit better for finer gold.
Happy hunting, Tom

Latest posts