VEGE PATCH. What's growing in yours?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1593152079_screenshot_20200626_153808.jpg
Ahhh frost. Plenty of that here so not much gardening going on. I have to make do for now with a little heated thermostat controlled mat and seed try. I like 20Xwaters propogation bench. Ever thought about making a commercial model 20X?
1593152023_screenshot_20200626_154311.jpg
1593152033_screenshot_20200626_154325.jpg

New poly greenhouse came today! :inlove: Covid/moving location special, nearly 40% of retail including delivery. Not sure if Mrs GT or me are more excited, been talking about it for about 6 years since seeing them at the Feild days for the first time. Now to put it up... :rolleyes:

In other gardening news, the pineberry babies just poking the heads through, so Im up to 6 mature (cpl years old), 6 decent seedlings (8 months old), and a few dozen tiny babies.

I always get excited but germination is hard then keeping them alive until big enough to transplant is even harder (better part of a year, really need one spring and one autumn). Any way easily the best germination Ive had from about 250 seeds, fingers crossed a dozen or 2 can make the journey to late spring where they are most comfortable and put their roots down properly. The more mature plants, the more seeds and so on.

I did promise a member some seeds and feel bad about never sending them, but now I know the batch is viable Ill be sorting out the biggest and the best to send to him in the next couple of weeks.

Cant wait for the day I can get enough to preserve and have a cheeky bowlful with a bit of cream. A couple per day and a dozen a week at their peak is not enough!

Couple of years and it might make the Xmas dessert. A man can dream..... :D

Beautiful work goldfreak, I run the thermostat controll sensor directly on t he matt, this way I got direct real time measurement, I'm using independent soil temp sensors, I'm using the heat mat to control the air temp as well.
I had to pull it apart and rebuild it in the coldest room in the house with t h t he least amount of daily temp variation..
1593162206_20200626_185615_compress26.jpg

I just have my sensor pushed into the dirt in the tray at 45 degrees. As long as condensation is forming and occasionally dripping back into tray I know it's warm enough and there is enough moisture.

OldGT said:
New poly greenhouse came today! :inlove: Covid/moving location special, nearly 40% of retail including delivery. Not sure if Mrs GT or me are more excited, been talking about it for about 6 years since seeing them at the Feild days for the first time. Now to put it up... :rolleyes:

In other gardening news, the pineberry babies just poking the heads through, so Im up to 6 mature (cpl years old), 6 decent seedlings (8 months old), and a few dozen tiny babies.

I always get excited but germination is hard then keeping them alive until big enough to transplant is even harder (better part of a year, really need one spring and one autumn). Any way easily the best germination Ive had from about 250 seeds, fingers crossed a dozen or 2 can make the journey to late spring where they are most comfortable and put their roots down properly. The more mature plants, the more seeds and so on.

I did promise a member some seeds and feel bad about never sending them, but now I know the batch is viable Ill be sorting out the biggest and the best to send to him in the next couple of weeks.

Cant wait for the day I can get enough to preserve and have a cheeky bowlful with a bit of cream. A couple per day and a dozen a week at their peak is not enough!

Couple of years and it might make the Xmas dessert. A man can dream..... :D
just a question, would a candle provide enough heating for a small poly green house at night? I have found a cheap way to make a vegetable oil powered candle burn a long time.

Tbh mate I have no idea. I was going to set up some hydronic heating using a large sheet of perspex and some stainless and black poly pipes.

Mrs GT is wanting to buy a house though, so for now I was just going to site it in, lay black bricks on the floor, and use the outdoor digital temp guage to monitor to give me some base line.

That said I love alternate ideas and would very much like to hear about your success even if not suitable.

OldGT said:
Tbh mate I have no idea. I was going to set up some hydronic heating using a large sheet of perspex and some stainless and black poly pipes.

Mrs GT is wanting to buy a house though, so for now I was just going to site it in, lay black bricks on the floor, and use the outdoor digital temp guage to monitor to give me some base line.

That said I love alternate ideas and would very much like to hear about your success even if not suitable.
I already wrap some of my sensitive outdoor plants in fencing wire and pallet wrap for winter to create mini green houses but if it gets too cold they still succum to the cold because you are not actually adding any heat at night. I have been thinking about building a big mulch pile and running water pipes for hydronic heating but as plants are spaced out candles might be easier. Probably have to make little chimneys though :lol: I will let you know if it works/fails. I will try it with a red pawpaw which is totally inappropriate for this area but will test the theory.

Better throw some gnomes in there, then you build as many chimneys as you like.

Local florist uses a gassifier powered ducted heating throughout the hoops, works a treat, if I make retirement I might give it a go then on a smaller scale.

Did consider Solar to run those free standing heat lights, again though, need to be more permanent to do the job right.

Hopefully the greenhouse will give me a few more weeks than the natural pattern permits, and a nice propagation point for the aspirations I have for future plants.

Thought about solar but it has to be cheap. I have access to alot of car batteries that have past used by dates but still work. If I could find a small dc powered heater to run off them at night and charge with solar in the day could be a goer. Perhaps even a small inneficiant inefficient light build? Anyway I will try the candle thing first. Convince the Mrs to build a giant greenhouse and park a caravan in one end. Home sweet home :perfect:

I turned it on to show where I'm up to with my tech hab ,
Everything works perfect..
1593228509_20200627_131313_compress94.jpg

Baking tray hatch view port lol
1593228577_20200627_131326_compress64.jpg

Humidifier injection port is just below the fan, that's the De-humidifier in the corner. The humidity thermostat controller operates both the De-humidifier and humidifier, punch in your settings to both with 2 degree delays works well.
1593228802_20200627_131410_compress83.jpg

God of wind...achieved
God of humidity...achieved
God of temperature...achieved
Lol
There is heaps more still..
God of acidity...
God of carbon...
God of water...
God of nutrients...
God of light...(waiting on new fluro, led is power consuming junk)

Nice work Fella, next level setup :Y: Could use CFLs, seen it done and experimented myself.

20xwater said:
I turned it on to show where I'm up to with my tech hab ,
Everything works perfect..
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...569/1593228509_20200627_131313_compress94.jpg
Baking tray hatch view port lol
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...569/1593228577_20200627_131326_compress64.jpg
Humidifier injection port is just below the fan, that's the De-humidifier in the corner. The humidity thermostat controller operates both the De-humidifier and humidifier, punch in your settings to both with 2 degree delays works well.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...569/1593228802_20200627_131410_compress83.jpg

God of wind...achieved
God of humidity...achieved
God of temperature...achieved
Lol
There is heaps more still..
God of acidity...
God of carbon...
God of water...
God of nutrients...
God of light...(waiting on new fluro, led is power consuming junk)
That's awesome 20x. I was thinking of using leds but from what you said should stick to t5's?

Goldfreak, this is a batch I did with the led, had it about 300mm above them and they just reached for light that isn't there..
1593298848_20200628_085700_compress73.jpg

I used Scott's seedling and cutting mix, insufficient light problem..

Latest posts