VEGE PATCH. What's growing in yours?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im being overrun, dont know if ill have enough zuchs for every member here but ill be feeding the neighborhood for sure.

Blackbirds took my first red strawberries, after killing a run of pineberry seedlings couple seasons ago. Im thinking control measures might need to be implemented.

Peas, beens, tommies, strawberries, and zuchs in all fruiting mode, and ladybugs have move into permanent homes in the plots.

Put in some spring onions into beds.

Woolies lettuce still going strong.

Tommie suckers still without roots, first time ive tried in plain water, been nearly a week might chuck a dap of hormone in if nothing fires up tomorrow.

36C today, nothing fell over, worms all still alive, nettle tea exploded in container the only calamity.
Smells like a dairy in about a 20 ft radius around it!

Happy growing.

Wish i had a hobby that involved getting many rocks I dont really need so I could paint a few fake strawberries.

Any Suggestions? :cool:

On another note I found peas dont like nettle tea :argh:

Tips on cucumber plants welcome too, the cousins are exploding but the burpless are a bit underwhelming.

Just paint up some specimen finds... especially if you can't find any rocks without color in them.... at least that way your not going from plain gold to strawberry red :eek:

1572251534_img_20191028_193013.jpg
1572251556_img_20191028_193056.jpg
1572251571_img_20191028_193030.jpg

Coming along nicely.

The bagged paper towel germination method hasn't worked on 10 chilli variety's.
To keep seeds up to temp in the bag causes increased water evaporation in the towel.
Spraying water in the bag to maintain moisture creates seed rot but is random.
Thinking it might be a bacteria from stored rainwater in tanks I have tested tap town/town water and got the same result.
2 weeks since soaking with no germination has resulted in changes.
Seeds are now in straight compost from Bunnings, keeping soil temp closer to 30 and spraying soil surface twice daily.
2 rows closest to camera germinated with bag method (Ozzie blacks and ebony fire).
Added the led grow lights to crank things up a bit and see what happens..
1572691228_img_20191102_202417.jpg

Looking good.... and getting technical now fellas !:p
I've got my cane mulch bales on site and just waiting on enthusiasm and invigoration to kick in and over-ride apathy and lethargy.... then I'll be right
I'll be
:fire:
:poop:

I like your bucket crop method 20x, Interested to see how it turns out. Corn might benefit from being a little closer together for wind pollination. My egg plant seeds have just started germinating after ten days but I hear chillis like it a little warmer.

20x if you going to go buckets try getting unsulfered molasses (not too hard to get) and add it in to your water with a bit of air for cpl days, grow the good bacteria for soil, they tend to fluctuate pretty quick when you seperate out, as its home is now basically a single monoculture rootzone using that method with a finite area to live in.

You wont need much effort to induce them to multiply once you get your carbohydrates in the water and oxygenate, trouble with buckets or pots is the are in a bit of a hostile environment mostly temp wise. Everything will still grows at lower numbers, just a possible bottleneck using 15L to 30L of space for rootzone. They are the ones you want to get as much of the nutrients to the plants as they can take up.

Youtube got plenty of instuctions on the process, if you decide to try :Y:

Hi OLDGT,i used molasses for nematode control ,(safer on the bloke using it than nemacur)only used molasses on the sandy or lighter soils ,as the heavier/clay soils trapped the sulphur in them,in the heavier/clay soils i used raw sugar as the sulphur had been refined out of it,would the raw sugar produce the same bacteria as the the unsulphured molasses,if so would it be a alternative if the molasses is unavailable

Up in the top corner of my property there is an acre of shaded tree ground. This is where I found the answer to my compost/soil problem..
1573012313_img_20191106_134702.jpg

In places it's 300mm thick.
It's composition is decades of leaf,bark and branch litter and cow manure. I noticed the cattle hang out here in the middle of the day and is what made me investigate.
Everything growing in the buckets is growing in this mixed with what the landscape supplies call coarse river sand but it's actually decomposed granite..

Latest posts