Turning gold into Jewellery

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife came home the other day saying she wanted an Ankh (Egyptian symbol for life) ring for her birthday. She dropped in to a local jeweller and he said he could melt down any old gold jewellery to make it. I was thinking the same about giving her gold I had found but just don't have enough.
I just asked her how much the jeweller was going to charge and she informed me she has already taken some old jewellery down and the ring is getting made. It is costing $200.
It's amazing how much goes on that you don't know about unless you ask. LOL!
Anyway from this little story I would imagine just about any jeweller, that actually makes jewellery, should be able to help you out at a reasonable price. $200 sounds reasonable to me for a custom piece.
Hope this helps. Cheers Dignit

I've had two nuggets (~ 3+gm) turned into jewelry for my daughters:

1455699125_img_0469a.jpg

This one photographed upside-down as the jeweler mounted it wrongly (idiot) - looked like a panda the right way up.

Then this one for my other:

1455699340_img_0471a.jpg

Not a great 2nd photo, but it's a great way to eternalise your nuggets for the ones you love.

Emerald mounted on the nugget pendant. Bought this from a gold dredger once on a trip to Arizona. Nugget is one that was found in the Klamath river, S California. Jewelry work was done by somebody at the 49ers prospecting club. I think the rope style gold chain is at least 14 K or probably better.

1455740399_goldnugpend_2.jpg

Great vid there bogan, apart from the nail biting screech of steel on cuttlefish audio like fingernails on a chalkboard...
I like how he has produced replicas of egyptian items using their technique too..wonderful

Greg does a great job all right and it's so good to be able to sell gold and have something made up in a couple of days. They also have a good display. We've been at the caravan park at Sandstone a couple of times when they are there.

Thanks everyone for the great responses here.

I've sent of a few emails to some places local to me and just waiting to hear back now. The ball is rolling :)

I love that nugget jewllery. If only I could even consider making something like that. But alas, I haven't even found a picker yet :( it's entirely fly poo flood gold for me. Oh woe is me haha

Now I guess I had better start focusing on the gemstone...ugh I don't know where to start. Wish me luck.

Hi All,
i have a few nice pieces which I would like to get bails on for presents... is it easy to do yourself or best to get an expert to solder them up? I can solder wires and components but never worked on a nugget :D

Here are the ones I am thinking of getting done...
1505458068_gold.jpg

does anyone have experience here??

Thanks all!

Sweet nuggets Coiltek :eek: ..... 8) ...... :cool: ..... :party: :lol:
I wouldn't if I were you..... :eek: ....Seek a pro ....wouldn't think it would cost much to put a bail on em :cool:
Don't think it would be hard just too much soldier and :mad: ...that ones buggered :N: :rolleyes: :lol:
Go to an old school jeweler and ask him to watch ;)

The one second from the right looks great for a necklace. The others are nice, but IMHO, are not necklace material.
I've had 3 done by a jeweller. The first two turned out fantastically (for my daughters), however a stand-in jeweller (same practice) did the third and heated the whole nugget to the point where the surface flowed a little, went all shiny and it lost some character. I was cross.
The trick is to just get just enough heat to where the bail is fitted and no more. That takes skill, good equipment and the right set-up. You can easily ruin the nugget.

Good advise all, thanks.

Might seek out a Jewellers but if anyone know of a good one in Adelaide feel free to suggest!

I've had one done but not sure if the guy still does it.

samrota said:
Had some nuggets made into earrings for the Wife for Christmas. She loves them.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/8882/1514158740_rsz_20171225_095456.jpg

They look great samrota,my wifes old set of ear rings were my 1st nugget and the other side was her 1st nugget(found about 20yrs ago),went missing from our house a few years ago sadly,that hurt :(
Now youve started it wont stop but they make great jewelery,cuppla shops in Kal do amazing stuff with some nuggets,inlaid with pearls etc,they look fantastic,the bosses bracelet below,she has room for more on it she tells me :|
1514171447_1a066b6f-5e52-41c5-a243-ea41f10a63a1.jpg

PS: little one on the ring is a piece from Nerriga :Y:

Latest posts