turbo pan or Garrett?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, looking to buy a gold pan and am tossing up between the Super Sluice or the Turbo Pan and not sure which to buy (money's getting tight otherwise I'd just grab both).

Going to be using it in conjunction with the Bazooka if that changes anything.

I'm really interested in the Turbo Pan because of its speed, but the Garrett seems popular on here too. Any clear choice on this one?

Cheers

My personal opinion after using both of these pans is to go with the Super Sluice, it can be just as quick at processing material if used correctly, but I find it much easier to use and have full confidence in it's gold catching abilities.

Garrett, bought the turbo didn't like it one bit. Sits in my ute rolling around on passenger floor. Fair dinkum mate if you were local id say drop by and you could have it. On the other side if i lost my Garrett id be shattered. I get a bit upset if i can't find it in the shed. Great pan.

Turbo pan is great if you only ahve very shallow water around to pan in but hands down Garrett wins everytime, your sieves fit in the garrett super sluice perfectly you just cant falt them, the turbo pan has some issues.

Hmmm, looks like the Garrett is more popular then. Cool, makes things easy.

Cheers

Hurg said:
Hmmm, looks like the Garrett is more popular then. Cool, makes things easy.

Cheers

I have a Turbo Pan and a 14" Garrett Super Sluice. As a newbie I bought the Turbo Pan as a finishing pan for panning off the Sluice concentrates i bought home. Using the Turbo Pan and seeing how it hung onto the gold over time gave me confidence and having now learned how gold behaved i picked up the Garrett again and straight away got better results. My fav pan has become the Garrett simply because i prefer the traditional panning action.
In addition the Garrett pan feels better than the Turbo Pan in the hand partly because the Turbo is uncomfortably wide for me. The Garrett is of solid thick construction (not flimsy), good weight and balance and feel, all smooth edges (especially the rim), and finger grip ridges on the outside allow for fatigue free use.... an all round quality tool.
The Turbo pan is a good pan and i still use it - but for a satisfying experience it's the Garrett for me.
casper

I use both, they both pick up the small gold. I see you went for the Garret, it performs well, if the gold is there both will catch it. It comes down to preference and how much you want to process, just make sure that you classify for the conditions, you stand a chance of loosing gold if you don't classify properly. Take the time to practice with your pan before you go out into the field if you are starting, it will pay dividends in the end, a couple of small lead split shot or some sinker cut up into bits. Practice with these until you are consistently recovering all the pieces and you will be sure to catch the gold..

IMHO the advantage the Garret has over the turbo is the base is larger so you can get a good swirl on when cleaning up your tails.. The advantage of the Turbo ofver the Garret is fine gold retention and speed moving lots of material.

Good luck out there Hurg

Cheers, Tone

Cheers for the advice guys. Did the lead trick when I got my first pan Tone and found it worked pretty well.

Latest posts