Turbo pan.any good?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
as title says are the turbo pans aa useful addition ,and what would be more usefull the 10"or 16"?

I think it is a preference, some like them, a guy had one yesterday at Gympie, and found some good gold in it, it keeps fine gold, the techniques takes a bit to get used too. Find a video on YT on the Turbo Pan or Kym Hillier the inventor.

Mmmmmm.... I tried mine out yestaerday, i just cannot seem to get the hang of it, it feels so different. It is wide and shallow and i find awkward, and spinning the cons clockwise to me just seems challenging.... So definitely not a pick up and use straight away item. Having said that, if you read all the postings on them, i think everybody is challenged as the advice seems to generally be to perservere as it becomes worthwhile later. My mate used one yesterday exclusively and he was a lot faster than me so they def do work if you can get comfortable with them.

Ive seen every vid, just saying that i find the technique challenging to start. Maybe i will like it later, i dunno, i dont right now.

I know it works, my buddy got gold in his, but i got about the same in my garrett pan. He was faster than me, but he is more experienced too.

Just saying you dont pick it up and start like any other pan, its wierd for a while.

Wolfy, it is weird for a while until you get used to it...I have the larger sized turbo pan and found that it is very quick getting through unclassified material...however there is a chance of throwing gold out of the pan...having said that I have always seen gold in the turbo pan cons before I have processed out the same gold in a finishing (black plastic pan).

As Cecc said....watch the video... it's weird because the rougher you are doing the anticlockwise swirling, the better the pan works (for me anyway).

I can imagine some people hating them...but they are much faster processing material than a normal pan....so I use the turbo If I am wanting to get through volume but finish in a regular pan.

The turbo pan is just like a small hand operated sluice and to that extent it's OK for me.

Finally I have no connection with the inventor or sellers of that pan.
cheers

they work well with fine sandy dirt. with clay mix they can be slower and the grooves clog whereas traditional pan with good technique is works for all.

Hi mate
I have 2 off them (green).... Not much good for use with glayish dirt .....clogs up the grooves and you only have a small circle at the bottom of the pan to catch the gold......Hence. .....Hard to swerl the water and remove black sand ..ect......Maybe good for samlping though ;) Who ever wants then they can have for free........ ;) :DJust my apinion though .......Each to their own.. :p .

Smoky bandit said:
Hi mate
I have 2 off them (green).... Not much good for use with glayish dirt .....clogs up the grooves and you only have a small circle at the bottom of the pan to catch the gold......Hence. .....Hard to swerl the water and remove black sand ..ect......Maybe good for samlping though ;) Who ever wants then they can have for free........ ;) :DJust my apinion though .......Each to their own.. :p .
I will take one and give it a crack if you are offering.

Eldorado said:
Smoky bandit said:
Hi mate

You beat me to it! Haha

I prefer ye olde steel pan, but that's just me as I classify and just pan down to black sand in the field. I'll always get the flour gold out of it no problems. I have the 10" and 19" turbo pans and as already stated they work fine on gravelly material but sandy or clayey wash clogs the riffles which increases the time taken to get to black sand and increases the chance of loosing very fine gold IMHO.

It has its place in the pan hierarchy, Ive spent the time and practice getting to know my turbopan and its strong and weak points.

I mostly use mine as a sampler, having only the 10in version it needs a more cautious technique but has never failed to recover visible gold.
I also use it as a finishing pan occasionally. Its main purpose was to be easy to slip into my backpack while wandering in the bush, allowing me to check potential goldbearing creeks and then come back with full gear to work the ground.

I also own a super sluice, it does its job perfectly too once broken in. Its a better pan if you intend to work alot of gravel at once and even handles the clay fairly well. Doesnt require a huge amount of finesse to get gold with these and doesnt lose it easily either.

You will probably find as things progress you will use the pan less for processing and invest in a sluice of one sort or another anyway.
Just remeber that theres a reason why alot of people support the garret pans :cool:

Goodluck Nicko61

TGW.

Eldorado said:
Smoky bandit said:
Hi mate
As promised Smoky Bandit sent me a turbo pan.Thanks Smoky,I gave it a go out at Oallen and I think Smoky is right,great for sampling but not so great as a finishing pan.Found it was much faster than a normal pan to do a test pan.

Latest posts