Tumbling smokey and clear Quartz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys I have recently made a tumbler out of parts from a printer then mounted on a price of 2 by 4 timber which runs of a Nokia charger works great and ready to tumble. :) I've orderded some cerium oxide so will be here in a couple days. how long should I tumble them for? How much slurry do I use? And how fast? Also is there anything I may find at my local stores that I could use as media also? Any info will help chers :)
1440573545_image.jpg

If they are already well river worn and you are happy with the shape you may be able to get away with just a polish, but I would still look at, at least one prepolish.
Each polish stage will depend on what you want to achieve with your rocks. If there are lots of rough edges it will take longer than rounded rocks. Harder rocks like quartz will take longer than softer rocks. I normally leave the rocks for at least 1-2 weeks per stage.

For my tumbler I fill it 3/4 with rocks/medium then add about 2 tablespoons if using cerium in polish, 2-3 for earlier stages.

The medium I got for my tumbler is small hollow plastic pellets, but even small pebbles can be used. When using medium like the hollow plastic pellets, if you want to re-use them, remember what grit you used them with as if used with a different stage, it can contaminate.

shivan said:
If they are already well river worn and you are happy with the shape you may be able to get away with just a polish, but I would still look at, at least one prepolish.
Each polish stage will depend on what you want to achieve with your rocks. If there are lots of rough edges it will take longer than rounded rocks. Harder rocks like quartz will take longer than softer rocks. I normally leave the rocks for at least 1-2 weeks per stage.

For my tumbler I fill it 3/4 with rocks/medium then add about 2 tablespoons if using cerium in polish, 2-3 for earlier stages.

The medium I got for my tumbler is small hollow plastic pellets, but even small pebbles can be used. When using medium like the hollow plastic pellets, if you want to re-use them, remember what grit you used them with as if used with a different stage, it can contaminate.

So cerium oxide can be used straight straight off the bat? Cool :)

Mostly silica based rocks.

Are you able to list what grits for what stages to use them at, and also where's tge best place to buy them at a cheaper cost?

Try out black sand too dylan..mabey even heavies from daysford with the tougher fine gems?

You may be able to get away with just the final polish if the rocks are smooth enough... The minimum I have done is pre polish and final polish.
1st stage 80 grit silicone carbide, 2nd stage 220 grit silicone carbide, pre polish 600 grit silicone carbide, final polish cerium Oxide.
I get my supplies from Aussie Sapphire, there may be cheaper but I have not really looked around.

Look for your closest pottery supplier dylan. All these can be bought in bulk cheap from them in pretty sure. Good for starting off but ma6 contain impurities

Gotta check out aussie sapphire myself

What's the difference between cerium and tin oxide with polishing

Hi Dylan,

I'd also use a plastic jar to run the stones in as the glass jar will get well worn and possibly cracked by the tumbling of the stones.

Terry

Oh...while were here, can someone explain gass build up and tumbling so both of us know about it.

How often should we tumble until opening the vial to release gas to prevent a pop..etc

We will probably use pvc pipe with screw on or push on end caps

Iam not sure how the glass jar will do, but if looking at plastic be careful, pvc may work. As the first tumbler I got was a cheap nat geo plastic barrel tumbler and it did not last the first stage before the barrel was worn through and leaking, luckily it was out in the garage.

I have not had any issue with gas, though I do not leave mine for more than 1 week without opening and checking stones, also I think the rubber barrel would also help with any slight pressure.

Personally, I have never had an issue with gas (my wife might beg to differ), I generally run the rocks for a week or so in each of the different grit sizes, for rough rocks I start with 46 grit working through, 80,220,600 then polish with tin oxide or cerium oxide.

I check after the first couple of days to ensure all is working well then reseal the tumbler and let it go till I wash off and start the new grit.

There are some great You tube videos and also some pretty good instructions via google.

Aussie Sapphire has some good information and I buy all of my tumbling supplies from them.

They are very quick and efficient and reasonably priced.

Terry

Thanks for the info so far I'll think i will get a least 1 pre polish Mabey even 2 yeah I tested a glass jar I brought only lasted 5 mins before cracking :/ so will stick to plastic I think awsome questions Atomrat it all helps most of the stones I have to tumble are rounded all ready but could use abit more shape so I would run it 24 hours a day for 1-2 weeks?

Try having a look after about a week, if they are where you want them to be move to the next grit. If not, reseal and go a few more days till you are happy.

Wash well between grits so you don't have coarser grits contaminating finer grits.

Terry

The first two stages are only really for cut, rough or broken rocks to round edges, though it also cleans any other grit off the stones that may contaminate the polish stage I think. I have actually got a nice polish on some quartz just with the pre polish, but jasper/chert seems to come up a lot better with the final stage.
Yes leave it running 24/7 if possible ( if turned off for any period drain and wash the rocks) for the first week. You can check the rocks as often as you like, it can just get messy doing it too often ;)

I think all the different designs are just to try to stop settling and keep all the rocks mixing and moving. I noticed my old loretone barrel is smooth inside while the newer one I bought has 3 raised lines running up the inside.

Great looks like pvc it is also as Atomrat suggested black sand and heavys from daylesford tiny broken spinnel,zircon ext has anybody used anything like that? Would it work?

Just to show how basic it can be dylan - here's one of our smokeys, I made a flat edge using the rough lap ..
..and because I don't have a polish lap setup yet, I mixed tin oxide with mah spit *pahtoey* and rubbed it around on the exposed leather on my blundstone boot!! Here's the result:

1440640184_14406401628120.jpg

Latest posts