Trouble finding history on this Button

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Found this one a while back, Any ideas and or recommendations on what sort of antique shops/dealers may have an idea about it? Would love to confirm if it is/isn't from the gold rush days. I tried the towns local antiques shop but lady had no idea over the phone.

I can tell you it was found in Birdwood SA, founded in 1848, gold rush in 1865.

Button Has "STAND COLOUR TREBLE GILT" on the back, Which is quite common on alot of buttons i have searched, however im struggling to find anything with same/similar design.

Any help would be appreciated.

1379118284_995458_10200741477758209_209133936_n.jpg

1379118323_526805_10200747620071763_1565174105_n.jpg

sorry to say I can't help you, but what an awesome find, well done

happy hunting
Steve and Lea

Thanks guys!

Nightjar- Thanks mate but thats what i meant when i searched, found alot with the "stand colour treble gilt" but nothing close to this design.

the duck- Cheers for the possible dating, and the link, Its a site i didn't find in my search, and I will email the guy with some decent pics.

On another note I hit the site again last week with my 3khz coil with no luck unfortunately...nothing but trash. I did have a local approach me who reckons I wouldn't find anything at this place, and that he was mates with the person the park was named after. He was pretty impressed when I showed him the Button.

Will keep you all informed if I find out any info.

Thanks again!

The crossed hammer and pick in Europe are the traditional symbols of mining going back centuries. Birdwood like many places in SA was settled by German / Silesian immigrants so i would suggest that would be the origin of the button although it was most likely manufactured in Birmingham, England.

A genuine colonial relic and a top find - well done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_and_pick

onebob

Latest posts