Triple battery system question?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May have missed something along the way through this thread, correct me if I'm wrong.
Using a SPDT switch between batteries?
One battery is flat and you hit the ignition switch to start vehicle, isn't there going to be "smoke" as the starter motor tries to draw lots of amps?

Nightjar,

Nigel has a BCDC1225 charging which ever battery, just like I have a 1220 (his is solar controller capable mine is not). If you flatten an AGM it will recover, but will drastically reduce its life......

They are designed to be permanently connected, all the switch will do is select which battery gets the charge. So no, all things equal, no smoke.

In fact, I have another 1220 in my van, it and the one in the 4x4 both activate from an ignition controlled 70A continuous solenoid. Fortunately, I don't think my alternator is one of the smart types that drop output once started.

The thing is, I manage my batteries so they are not too discharged, so the 2 Redarcs, even with my van fridge on, are still only pulling about (or less) than 20A.

condor22 said:
Had a brain fade, lol a Single pole Double throw will do SPDT if you only switch the positive line

Also handy for wiring a light bar so you can have switchable with high beam as is required but also be able to have on on it's own if you wish to use as a work light. Ideal for camp set up after dark.
:)

Just having a vent! maybe its just me (because I just dont know enough!) But this is starting to do my head in! Nothing seems to fit! I buy a 40A circuit breaker....it has a 5mm bolt....the wiring is 6mm2....no-one has ever heard of a ring terminal with a 5/6mm hole that accepts 6mm2 wire!. everything I try and connect together is the same! no common sizes!

Hi mate,
just reading a little of your dramas. You should be able to get cable lugs from Ashdown Ingram on Lyons St. Should be a pkt of 10.

Hope that helps,
TGW

Latest posts