Today's unexpected loot.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had no intention of getting anything today besides a few dollars but I was pleasantly surprised. I had been to this spot before and gotten about ten dollars or so and nothing else and I went there again today, oddly enough I found quite a few Pre-decimals. The total came to be 3 Pennies 3 Half Pennies 1 Threepence and $16.70 in around 2 hours or so. The outcome of today still confuses me, it's not like they were all in the one spot they were distributed quite far away from each other... Either just got lucky today or unlucky last time I was there. :p Also found a belt buckle maybe..? It's copper but looks like it was gold gilt at one point.
The camera on my phone isn't the best, most of them are in really good shape.
1433664048_park_1.jpg

1433664048_park_2.jpg

Forgot to mention that about 10 minutes into the hunt, two rangers came and talked to me. My immediate thoughts were "oh god here we go" but no, they were really polite and were impressed with the first penny I found. Luckily they talked to me whilst I was digging a neat plug so that might have been what saved me :8

rileymcsmiley said:
Had no intention of getting anything today besides a few dollars but I was pleasantly surprised. I had been to this spot before and gotten about ten dollars or so and nothing else and I went there again today, oddly enough I found quite a few Pre-decimals. The total came to be 3 Pennies 3 Half Pennies 1 Threepence and $16.70 in around 2 hours or so. The outcome of today still confuses me, it's not like they were all in the one spot they were distributed quite far away from each other... Either just got lucky today or unlucky last time I was there. :p Also found a belt buckle maybe..? It's copper but looks like it was gold gilt at one point.
The camera on my phone isn't the best, most of them are in really good shape.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2445/1433664048_park_1.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2445/1433664048_park_2.jpg

Well done mate, some days just work out better than others. I had a chat with a couple of rangers the other day also, they had no probs with me detecting, just interested in my finds. I said "'m not making a mess" and they just said, look at the sports field, it was a total mess from the soccer games held there recently. They said "if your not making a mess like that we have no problem". Were nice blokes.

What a top hunt that must have been for you Riley, what year was the threepence ?

The year of the threepence is 1935. I went out to the same spot again today for about 2 hours, it didn't disappoint as I was expecting :p. Not as many coins as yesterday but I found some jewelry which is always a nice bonus. In total I found 3 Pennies and 1 Half Penny as well as a 1912 threepence and $8. The dates on the pennies were 1908, 1917 and 1929 and the half penny was 1933. The small ring is stamped with T Sil so I'm just assuming that its silver and the pendant/charm is from Tiffany&Co, stamped with 925 :) You'll probably be hearing more from this spot in the future but I'm most likely going to take a break for now :cool:
1433840991_park_3.jpg

1433840991_park_4.jpg

Considering digging the low tones now, there's just so many targets at this spot that it would probably add an extra 50 hours of detecting to it :lol:
Also that is my first bullet (case) I've ever found so that was exciting, it's a 303 :8

Well done mate, Tiffany stuff is always overvalued and very popular, same as the Pandora stuff like the gold and diamond ring in my avatar, they hold resale value if in good condition. Get into gold detecting..... you'll be sick of bullets and bullet shells on the first day......... :)

Hopefully some more good stuff comes from that site.

I've always wanted to go detecting for natural gold, the detectors are just so expensive though. I have seen people that have gotten gold with an AT Pro but I assume the chances of finding anything with such a detector is next to nil. :/

Went back sooner than I thought I would, luckily I went yesterday and not today since its raining :p . Every time I come here I hope for my first florin but so far no luck... Did manage to snag a shilling and more pennies though. Also found an I'm not sure... It resembles a bottle top but its very old. At this spot you can kind of judge how old something is by depth, pennies usually being 6 inches but this thing was a good 10 inches or more. :eek: Btw the 5 x 8 coil is heavenly. Dates on the pennies are 1917,1933,1941,1952,1952 and the lawnmowered one is 1943. Halfs are 1943 and 1953.

1434352664_park_10.jpg

1434352664_park_11.jpg
- before cleaning
1434352700_park_12.jpg
- after, silvers always come up great :D

Back to the spot, its been a while! Considering its a fairly small area and the fact that I've already been there so many times I nearly didn't go today but I'm very glad I did. Why? First Florin!!! Man I was happy when I found this thing, the first of many to come I would hope. Also found my second pre 1900 coin which is kinda cool along with a silver earring with some kind of stone that resembles smokey quartz.

Dates on the pennies are 1897 and 1944, the half is 1947 and the florin is 1916. :D

1438414042_florin2.jpg

1438414042_florin1.jpg

Happy days :p

Good onya Riley,...well found,.... great score,... was lost who knows when,... but now it's all yours,...forever more. :)

Latest posts