Todays hunt results.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good one numpty,.... is it still in the box too ?
I think the old lads liked to look after their kit as much as they were able. smile

I think so.... I have a few types of them... some with boxes some without.
flick
gotta
piper
bengall

Ahhh,... your a collector of sorts numpty, I only have the one handed down to me. :)

phantom 305 said:
go back to th garden and find it SILVER ..you have a metal detector lol itll have metal buckles on it wont it ;)
That garden got turned into a big double shed P305,... and someone else owns it now,... they might be a wee bit surprised/annoyed if I start jack hammering up the shed floor in pursuit of the remains of the Razor Strap,.... could say I was a council inspector of some sort, I suppose :D ,... being a Garrett, I would get a feel for the garage floor and what lies beyond it(reo included),... so I can see where you are comming from with it, by suggesting I go for it. ;)

lol you and ya garrett lol :D :D tell em there mite be a body buried there ..then th police will dig it for you lololololol

silver said:
Ahhh,... your a collector of sorts numpty, I only have the one handed down to me. :)

yeah sort of, I collect silly things sometimes, I cant help myself.......like a miniature 2mm pin fire single shot pistol made in about 1940-50, made out of silver, fits in a matchbox!, can where it on a necklace too haha

numpty said:
silver said:

yeah sort of, I collect silly things sometimes, I cant help myself.......like a miniature 2mm pin fire single shot pistol made in about 1940-50, made out of silver, fits in a matchbox!, can where it on a necklace too haha
havta put up a picky of that one too numpty,... that'd be good to see. :)

Todays 1hr 20 min worth of hunting,... still getting over my sore back at the moment, so I'm a little slow with it all,.. that said, when on the hunt, the pain dissapears in thought. :/ .
1439473038_sam_2544.jpg

thought I had 1918,... until before my eyes with a quick clean, that Sixpence turned into a 1958,.. no wonder i was having difficulty seeing the old Kings head,... it wasn't even there(ha). :rolleyes:
1439473039_sam_2547.jpg

1439473039_sam_2548.jpg

Cheese got a much nicer 6d today on his thread,... link below. :D
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13254

treasureman said:
Is that one you'll try and clean or leave the crusty goodness on :p?
Got to top up on CLR before I can bathe it again,....CLR went blue first, then filthy with dirt when I brushed it,....it still has no silver showing yet, but I'm working on it TM,...no good leaving it sit in dirty CLR as it would be pretty well weakened with all that dirt, and may well cause some sort of redeposit to happen,... Depending of course what was in the dirty stuff in the first place that had migrated onto the coin(and onto the silver oxide itself). :) ;)

No wonder you got it wrong, I'm still having trouble seeing any head on it, netherlone a Kings head. :D Is that hole on the coin from the digger or just corrosion?

Goldpick said:
No wonder you got it wrong, I'm still having trouble seeing any head on it, netherlone a Kings head. :D Is that hole on the coin from the digger or just corrosion?
No digger contact at all GP,.... luckily(old, tired, sore back, unsteady), anything could cause a silver scar at this moment(ha),.... there is still a fair bit of adherence on it at the moment, and I think it may be a little scared from days of old as well, so I will still have to await the clr ,.... went for it today and came back with kero for the fire tonight. :rolleyes: (ha),... senior moment at the supper market,.... waiting on acid and clr both, now.
No hole in it that I can see :eek: ,.. yet,... from here,.... maybe just looks bad in the picky. :D

Hi Silver... good hunting btw. Just a note to let ya know.... ya can still get the 'ol style leather "strops" from 'boutique' Barber shops.

Admittedly they are new, but if your intent was to use and keep an edge on your razor, there's your answer. The original older ones had a two piece folding prong end that could be wrapped around a door knob, or over a towel rail in the bathroom. The better made (or closer to 'authentic') ones will have this same system when made. They have two sides of 'burnisher', one a roughy and the other side a fine for finishing with a smooth edge.

As a guide to others wanting the cut-throat, their easy enough to find in 'most' larger antique shops from between A$35-50 avg.

Ones the like of what Silver posted are the more common (utilitarian or daily use) and usually had a Bakelite side pieces in either brown or black and are lower in cost.

The more expensive ones were more decorative with either MOP (Mother of Pearl), Ivory, Bone or Silver with some sort of decorative patterns engraved within and can go for as much as a cpl hundred bucks. The real trick is to find a Razor & Brush matching set. These were usually 'custom' orders by 'Gentlemen of Means' and as such are rarer and obviously the more expensive.

I've owned 3x over time, all the common types, and still have one in a box currently, though i don't recall the maker. If i come across it i will post and add more info. if required.

Cheers
GGA

Thanks for that GGA,... I remember my Dads being a redy brown color,.. good to know you can still get them. :D

No worries Silver. There is also available a 'new' version on the old theme, but they use replaceable/disposable blades as well. I much prefer the 'original' both for feel in use, and visual aesthetics.

Cheers

Gypsy

Here's todays little effort,...park and beach. ;)
not sure what this item below is,.. never found one before. :|
1439719077_sam_2686.jpg

silver ring(crushed) no stone,.... didn't notice that until I got home,.. no chance of hunting the stone now. :(
1439719077_sam_2688.jpg

just paste junk jewelery,.. has mirror silvering on the back of the stones,...n o t even cubic zirconia(ha) :eek:
1439719077_sam_2697.jpg

that other little ring is just copper kids ring(not even a plastic stone in that one) :lol: