Todays hunt results.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's that 1922 MAW Penny, before and after shots, the before shots are from earlier in this thread when they were taken out of MAW and rinsed with water ,... the after shots are from now when I took the coin from MAW and cleaned it gently for about 30 seconds with brasso and then washed it with this type soap.
1486295862_20170205_215650.jpg

will have to wait now to see how it changes over time with its patina. 8)
1486295891_1485346144_20170125_204908.jpg

1486295920_20170205_214905.jpg

1486295956_1485346345_20170125_205120.jpg

1486295998_20170205_215105.jpg

golddiggerart said:
Huge difference but why Brasso?
Was either that or Silvo, thinking was that it is just a polish, and I didn't want to use anything too harsh ,... pretty smelly, shoulda done it outside and tomorrow ,.... woulda lost a few brownie points tonight I recon. :lol:
I just wanted to take off the loose brown from the MAW, would leave a towel dirty looking if I'd rubbed it on one as it was, just wanted to be able to see if the MAW was digging deep or not. ;)

Wow, gorgeous orchids Silver, you certainly have a variety of them. Thanks for showing us. I did not realise that some orchids have scented flowers and the tick orchid looks interesting. I just did a google and the flowers on that particular orchid are quite pretty as well.

Here are some pics of my one and only orchid (at the moment anyway).................!

1486446264_orchid2.jpg

1486446862_orchidleaf.jpg

You may notice the scorched area on one of the leaves. I confess I sprayed some ants near her and some got on the leaf. Bug spray is lethal stuff and I feel terrible for disfiguring my little orchid, hopefully she will recover from it.....!! ;)

Cheers,
Bec. :)

And Silver as a self qualified google doctor and as a concerned treasure hunting family member, I do hope that you are taking every care possible whilst out hunting in your condition. And that you try not to over do it, if possible......! ;)

So having said that, I do have to say though, that your most recent expedition resulted in some very, very nice finds. Congratulations.....!! The belt ring is awesome. And the buttons are interesting, do they have any writing on them at all? Personally, I love finding older buttons and jewellery from yester year, love the history behind it.

Excellent work Silver, well done........! ;) :)

I've seen ground orchids in western OZ ( generic name Donkey Orchids) , seen a superb wild Cooktown orchid in bloom , . Some unique orchids in the Cardamon mountains in Cambodia and in northern Borneo . Always thought they were difficult to grow Silver and to get them to flower conditions need to be right.

Dan

Danny13 said:
I've seen ground orchids in western OZ ( generic name Donkey Orchids) , seen a superb wild Cooktown orchid in bloom , . Some unique orchids in the Cardamon mountains in Cambodia and in northern Borneo . Always thought they were difficult to grow Silver and to get them to flower conditions need to be right.

Dan
Yeah Dan, gotta keep em happy to have them live, and reap the rewards ! I'd like a black cooktown orchid(any colour really) ,.... but I'm prepared to have a few new and different ones once I have a nice fernery happening. I'll grow a few and split them over time, just so I can swap some with people. :D

It was just a native purple Cooktown orchid. A black one would be special. I'm trying to get my hands on a black evergreen frangipani . Hard to find . Closest I could get to the colour is a dark Darwin red.

Dan

Danny13 said:
It was just a native purple Cooktown orchid. A black one would be special. I'm trying to get my hands on a black evergreen frangipani . Hard to find . Closest I could get to the colour is a dark Darwin red.

Dan
I heard the black cooktown orchid was rare, so is the button orchid ,.... never heard of a black frangipani though, but sounds exotic :p ,.... I'll keep my eye out for one now then Dan ! 8) ;)

silver said:
Wow Bec just keeps on happening, an even even more refined search brings me to believe your orchids name is Dtps. Sogo Cherry (where Dtps stands for Doritaenopsis) :D
http://www.akatsukaorchid.com/store/p/528-Dtps-Sogo-Cherry.aspx
but, I could stand to be corrected ,... recon I'm pretty close though. :D

Wow, thank you for the links you posted Silver, very much appreciated. I am pretty certain that you have correctly identified my orchid as a Phalaenopsis, (Moth Orchid).!! I just had a bit of a read about these types of orchids and apparently they come in a huge variety of colours and markings. (And I even saw a pic of a black flowering moth orchid.....amazing.) And they are especially good for beginners like me....! So I am very happy with that, thank you Silver. :D

I definitely think this is fast becoming a new hobby for me. :cool:

Thanks again Silver....! ;)
Cheers,
Bec.

Latest posts