Today i was eating a Chicko Roll and ....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cracka

Craig
Reaction score
Today I was eating a Chicko Roll and my mate asked me how much chicken was in it? When I told him none, it was mutton, he didn't believe me. So for anyone who is interested, heres the Chicko Roll story.
The Gold Chiko Roll:

Aussie snack icon

"Not bad for a boilermaker from Bendigo and his cohort the ice vendor from Moonee Ponds." [Peter McEncroe, son of Francis McEncroe]

Wagga was the birthplace of the Chiko Roll.

The inventor? A Bendigo boilermaker named Francis Gerald McEncroe.

From the 1930s-50s, Francis and his brothers had been running a large silver service catering venture, travelling around country shows with their team of about thirty hometown staff. Francis was renowned for his ingenuity, and was always on the look out for new and distinctive ideas to stay abreast of his competitors.

One day Frank decided that there was a need for a hot snack that could be eaten with one hand at a race meeting, country shows, football matches and the like. Watching a man selling chicken rolls outside a football ground set him thinking.

He made his first rolls on a small hand-fed sausage machine. They were a concoction of boned mutton, celery, cabbage, barley, rice, carrots and spices. This combination was then wrapped in a thick egg and flour dough, then fried. Both ends were hand- painted.

Frank's answer to the chicken roll may not have contained any actual chicken, but the appeal was enormous. After much planning and experimentation, the resulting product - the "Chicken Roll" - was sold commercially for the first time at the Wagga Wagga Agricultural Show in 1951. The "Chiko" as it became known was an immediate success and the quantity made for the show was sold by mid-afternoon of the second day. The public had given their approval to the new take-away food.

Hugely successful in its own right, the Chiko would most likely have remained a regional Victorian curiosity if not for a fortuitous meeting with some other visionaries, and the money Frank's wife Annie had saved up during the war.

McEncroe used this money to buy a small factory in Coburg, Victoria. By chance, it happened to be located near the Floyd Family Iceworks. The Floyds encouraged Frank to freeze his products for distribution and together they formed Frozen Food Industries to market Chikos and other fast foods.

By 1956 every milk bar and fish and chip shop in the land could pull a Chiko out of the fridge, pop it in the fryer, squirt it with sauce and slide it into its own little bag.

To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Chiko Roll, the current manufacturer, Simplot, presented the cities of Bendigo and Wagga with gold plated Chiko Roll replicas.
At the peak of its popularity in the 1960s and 1970s, forty million Chiko Rolls were sold annually in Australia, and the product has been described as an Australian cultural icon.

Enjoy one today, I did.

Cracka.

Who can forget the poster that adorned every fish & chip shop with the sheila on a black shadow,

1456357909_capture.jpg

I can't stop wondering if this poster was made today, "what would the reaction be ??"

1456358111_chic.png

They say if you can remember the 60's then you weren't really there 8)

But I remember the Chiko :cool: 8.(

Heres another read about the poster above, that's a newer poster because of the slogan, read below

Chiko Chick

Since the 1950s, Chiko Rolls have been advertised featuring the "Chiko Chick" character, a seductive woman on a motorbike accompanied by the slogan "Couldn't you go a Chiko Roll?". During the early 1980s, the accompanying slogan "You can't knock the roll" was used.

In 2008, the company began a nationwide search for the new "Chiko Chick", hoping to downplay the traditionally raunchy look in favour of more wholesome, "girl next door" image. On 17 July 2008, the new advertising poster was unveiled at the Wagga Wagga Showgrounds featuring Annette Melton as the new face of Chico Roll.

Cracka.

Stop it !!!!!

Now I'm just plain hungry............mmmmmm! a chiko is in my future :8

I can't say I recall the new poster, I'll google it after I eat :p

Well, my stomach is grumbling now so I'm off for a healthy lunch, Chico Roll, Battered Sav with BBQ sauce and a Carlton Draught or two in the air conditioned pub. Have a great day people. :p

Cracka.

Used to love those as a kid, with salt and vinegar, but I always thought it was a bastardised version of a Chinese spring roll. I haven't had one for a few years, but last time I did, it did not taste as good as I remember.

On the subject of fish shop spring rolls, my dad had a saying about good luck - "like finding a prawn in your spring roll." Back in the 70's there was an odd prawn to find in one of those rolls, but I doubt they are included in the recipe these days.

Yep gotta say the Spring Rolls overtook the Chiko Roll for me quite a while back ....... and I still remember waggin school and me mate introduced me to a little chinese takeaway/rest shop in Leake St Essendon which made their own steamed dim sims with soya sauce ........ Chikos and Spring rolls take a back seat .......

They would get better sales if they taught outlets how to serve them. Too many times soggy from wrong oil temp for cooking, other times just nuked in a micro wave. Still doesn't stop me looking for that perfect chiko wherever I travel around this great country.

That's a good point Bob. Back in the 70's they would have been deep fried in animal fat, well flavored by all the other stuff that got fried up. These days, the most common oil in take aways is cotton seed oil. McDonalds chips used to be much better when they were fried in beef fat. A Chiko nuked in the microwave sounds awful.

Must admit they were staple diet for the crew when I was haunting the Sunny Coast in my younger days. 30cents I believe they cost back then. You could survive for 3 or 4 days on $2.00 :D

Spring Rolls or Chiko Rolls cooked up in a camp oven with hot chips ............................ bloody yum!

Yeah I remember the 60s, they were in the 70s, weren't they.
Spring Rolls just cabbage Rolls but I loved them.
Thanks for the memories (those that I have left) Oh Happy Days, Oh Happy Days.
Mackka

Whilst we are reminiscing about food stuffs, who can remember bread fried in dripping. Dripping had been seasoned by multiple Sunday roasts.
That was one of the benefits of having parents raised during the depression, underground mutton, tripe and onions, bread and dripping all before prepackaged food.
Food outlets can now longer sell day old soup, curries stews etc yet I reckon flavour was always better when leftovers couple of days old.

Latest posts