To keep soaking or not?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushpig

Jed
Reaction score
Just after some opinions on weather to keep soaking or not?

Cheers :D

1481093219_2016-12-07_17.46.11.jpg

Nice nug mate reckon I will be in the minority but I say soak em until all the ironstone is gone love the purity of gold on its own :)

Thanks for that Baccus. Had it soaking for a week now might as well keep going. Starting to see a bit of quartz under the iron stone.

Get it out mate ,save the acid ,toothbrush under water and you will be surprised how much comes off then back into the acid . I assume you are in Hcl but that won't dissolve the Quartz

Cheers

Yes mate just hcl. I had a few others in soaking with this one. This one is being a bit stubborn to clean and the iron stone isnt softening as it usually does. May just need longer?

I use oxalic acid to get scalpy ironstone off Smokey quartz crystals from Oberon. It works well on ironstone coated gold as well.
The local chemist sold me a 1 kg plastic container of pure oxalic acid granules. The manufacturer was Ajax chemicals.
RDD

Ps Nice nugget BP. I say dolly it up and parcel it up with more....and off to the refiner

Thanks RDD i wouldnt mind doing that one day. Might need another 10 or 20 of this size to send off though. To make it worthwhile anyway.

Yeah i could give it a bit of a tap too i suppose uncle.

I reckon I'd soak for a bit longer but wouldn't completely remove the ironstone , a little bit gives it character

Latest posts