To dig or not to dig

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie question,

In searching my local area for metal detecting locations, I have found a couple of reasonably old populated locations. One location i`m eyeing off is a park with a big old fig tree in the middle. there is photos and articles about this fig tree dating back to early 1800s. Today there is a "Historic Plaque" there and a small grass area beside it with a old kids playground in the middle of a town.

Where do we stand legally (or morally) about digging somewhere like this? obviously small filled in holes but i know as soon as someone sees me they will confront me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Here is a pic of the location

There are no silly questions. It is much better to ask then to do the wrong thing. I see no problem digging there and under trees is better than a manicured lawn. As always, leave as little evidence of your visit as you can. I have found with some types of tree that they self mulch which adds layer upon layer of soil and buries the treasures ever deeper each year. Depending on the tree type you can also have many roots that can impede your digging.

You should be OK as long as it is not a Heritage listed site. Of course you will sometimes have uninformed locals have a go at you. It is a good idea to have a read of your local council bylaws. Most do not have specific anti metal detecting laws but they can use existing rules such as destruction of flora and even trespass if they really want to move you on. Each council is different and we all must try do the right thing.

Ramjet said:
You should be OK as long as it is not a Heritage listed site. Of course you will sometimes have uninformed locals have a go at you. It is a good idea to have a read of your local council bylaws. Most do not have specific anti metal detecting laws but they can use existing rules such as destruction of flora and even trespass if they really want to move you on. Each council is different and we all must try do the right thing.

The park & tree itself is heritage listed i just found out. I think i best be leaving that one alone

I was told by a relo that years back it was common to plant a fig tree either side of a home, so odds are reasonable there was a second fig tree there at some point. Said relo lives on a large parcel of land with couple fig trees, shame I wasn't into the hobby at the time I found out but I might get the opportunity for a swing there again once day to see if anything was left behind from the long ago demolished home.

Latest posts