thinking of hiring out my equipment

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey everyone what's peoples thoughts on letting people you don't know take 3k worth of gear ? what security would you ask so you have there details if they decide to keep your gear and what would you do if they broke something of yours when returning it after renting/hireling it ?

I thought of hiring out my detectors. I then thought to myself that I was going insane for thinking such madness, lol.

Insurance would probably be more than the gear is worth for such a venture. I'd only do it if I could afford to lose it.... It's just the way the world is these days that stops me hiring stuff.

I used to hire out some of my pro audio gear, some pieces of my gear made a GPX 5000 seem like chicken feed, anyway I soon stopped hiring gear after a few questionable incidents with not being paid and wear and tear.

Geez HTY, good luck with that mate. I reckon you could be setting yourself up for a lot of pain and at best a lot of bloody headaches. I suppose all you can do is take credit card details as a security again breakage or cost of replacing, but if they're ferals and going to walk with your gear then the card they use will probably be dodgy. I suppose you've got to weigh up how much return you can get compared to how much grief.
Good luck mate.

I would be hireling out my equipment...
Too much risk incase the hireler damages or took off with my gear.

I tend to think of like a lawnmower. Bloke next door wants to borrow your mower, takes it and it blows up. Now he couldn't afford the lawnmower and yet he has (to make it right) buy you a new lawnmower. In the end this will almost certainly end badly.

I did think about this once too, and really there's only two options. Either you go with the equipment and they put in a payment for your time and expertise, or you can go to the gold shops offer them a lease and get a legal contract drawn up and hand responsibility over to them and they can put their cut on it. That way you deal with the leasee not the hirer. Their insurance cost will be a damn side cheaper that what you can get it for. I've done option 2 with a Digger, excavator and trucks, it can be reasonable returns with the right arrangements.

Any other scenario and I think you're gambling and eventually you will lose out. I know you've been burnt trusting others before mate I would hate to see it happen again.

LC76 said:
HTY your gear will just get stolen.
Use it or sell it.

Exactly and don't expect the police to help when it doesn't come back. Since you willingly handed over the gear to the hirer, the police will most likely tell you it's breach of contract and a civil matter, not theft. Good luck pursuing the hirer through the court system.

I would and have loaned to a good mate prospector, but would not hire them out at all.

I have several different types, so why have one sitting in a vehicle unused when a mate would like to have a go with one of the ones that I have.

Rob

If you set it up as an above board business with all the right procedures in place, I think it'd make a great little sideline.

There are plenty of hire companies making good money out of hiring all sorts of equipment.

Some of the things I'd be asking for are a drivers licence, credit card details, take a photo of the customer, and take a photo of their car including number plate. The more information you have about the customer the better. If they don't meet your checklist then they don't get to hire your epuipment.

There is risk involved in every venture, but if you can minimise risk through having the right procedures and insurance in place, than you're stacking the odds of succeess in your favour

Cheers NN

even lending equipment can end up bad

some shops hire out sd2300 i have tried one for a weekend $500 cash deposit and about $180 for 2days ie pick up friday and bring back monday and your creditcard and id etc
cheers Ron

All i will say is Miners Den in Sydney had their entire rental stock stolen by a few fake renters with FAKE ID and NO longer hire equipment . If a registered business can get done over so can a private guy. I know you are legit and your motives are also but the 1% of scum in the world arent worth the risk , which is a big shame for the honest ppl that would happily and safely hire your gear.

We registered Capel Hire about 15yrs back. I had a lot of workshop equipment from previous business ventures. We had to be registered motor vehicle dealers to hire the trailers so we started there while we went ahead painting and signing our gear. After a few months of hiring trailers we began to see the damage, loss and general difficulties dealing with the customers.

Payment was always difficult so the first thing is you need to have credit card facilities and unless you have good sales volume this gets expensive. The next difficult thing is how do you work out general wear and tear from damage? On many occasions we just faced the cost of repair just to keep our customers happy.

On one occasion we hired our sign written Hyundai to a couple who had broken down and need a drive car. I got a call from the cops because my car was used to try to run down a cop who tried to stop it. Fortunately I was competing in the Dutton Rally at the time and all my time was recorded down to the hundredth of a second. I had a bullet proof alibi :)

We never got into hiring the rest of the equipment. It simply wasn't worth it. The trailers made good money because they were very basic machines with little to go wrong. Anything electrical would have had to be tested upon return and the liability issues would also have been another thing to deal with.

We only stopped hiring the trailers a couple of years back after we lost a couple and we started to travel too much to have the yard open.

Hire needs to be a professionally run business with the infrastructure to back it up.

Ps: We were leading the rally three-day Dutton Rally by Saturday night in my (now) daughter-in-law's street legal Subaru WRX. On the Sunday we were overtaken by a much faster Porsche on Wanneroo raceway. I was clocked at 235 Kph and it wasn't fast enough. We finished the rally with both of us taking home a trophy for 2nd place in a field of 80 cars. That was my first drive of a 4WD car.

Hunting the yellow said:
ok so A I can do it and have my gear stolen witch may happen or B I just don't worry about it and not bother
Sounds about it in a nutshell HTY. :lol: :lol: Good options hey? :lol: :lol:

G,day HTY
I thought of hiring out my 5000 while I was away doing the 4-1 work, the easiest way for me
To do was to hand the 5000 over to one of the regulars eg bendigo gold or one of the other
stores and take a cut of the hire fee, when I returned from my swing away I could just call them up and take my detector if I had the time to get out... While they had possession of the machine they covered all the insurances and things like that. At the end of the month if it was used a few bucks would come my way.
Sorry for late input on this, I was away again..

Cheers Rudy

Latest posts