Things in the bush - a Chinese veggie garden

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This a gold rush era Chinese veggie garden from the Vic golden triangle south of Wehla. A rare sight in the bush but very historical and interesting. Note that its been left alone and should stay that way. Its just across from the Jericho Lead and next to the charcoal burners kilns.

1379043346_chinese_garden.jpg

do you reckon the chinese buried their gold under that vege patch? lol
the best part of prospecting is being out in nature and discovering stuff like this, it amazes me. the stuff i see in the bush is awe inspiringly beautiful :)

Looks like a well organised garden, the Chinese certainly put in a big effort on the fields back in the day. Lets hope it remains unspoilt.

Cheers, Tone

That's incredible loamer, and to the untrained eye it just looks like an ordinary bit of bush land. I wonder what it looked like back in the day.

Great photo and info loamer.....
I am learning so much from this forum but also from you so a very big THANK YOU :)

No worries GTOZ. I always carry a little digital camera in my day pack when I do my map reconnaissances. Photos helps later on when I start plotting on maps etc., where I am going to detect. EG - 'photo xyz at map reference 123. Looking north. Ground type xyz. No diggings'. You get the idea.

Not far from where I'm working there is a Chinese cemetery dating from the 1850s, unfortunately some mongrel has vandalised it and smashed all the pottery urns.

Awesome pic! Im removing scrub in a section of my place at the moment and the ground looks very similar to that!! Its a bit of an odd section for here, only non native plant there too (old smallish pine tree) I still can't work out what sort of pine it is. Now I Wonder!!

Misscaddi - The story goes that the Chinese used to bring in pine nuts and chew off the husks and spat out the seeds. In an old record they are noted as dwarf pines - about a yard (metre) high. They are around the Vic goldfields. Possibility.

loamer said:
Misscaddi - The story goes that the Chinese used to bring in pine nuts and chew off the husks and spat out the seeds. In an old record they are noted as dwarf pines - about a yard (metre) high. They are around the Vic goldfields. Possibility.

hmmm! its not a miniature thats for sure. but definitely interesting :D

Latest posts