The Wonderful People of Western Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to all, hope that I am in the right place for this. We have just returned to Victoria (cold & wet) after taking a 2 month break to WA. Our big lifetime adventure that we have looked forward to for a verrry long time. We travelled to Kalgoorlie, spent time there and then to Leonora, Sandstone, Meekatharra, Nullagine, Marble Bar and Broome, (did a bit of back and forth but that was basically it). The honest truth of it is that goldwise it was a disaster, vehicle wise was as bad, if not worse. There are 2 very major things that came from this trip, the country, the scenery.......absolutely world class and DRAMATIC. It is not the sort of flat and bare country that would suit everyone but we found it breathtaking, it changes from moment to moment, flat to hills, just really wonderful. If you think that you maybe would like it, then you will love it for life! The other thing was that NEVER lose faith in people, the Western Australians that we met have been real, warm, friendly and caring.......and that is the mildest thing I can say.............As I said, we had bad vehicle trouble in Marble Bar, these people reached out and gave us every bit of help that they possibly could, above and beyond what anyone would expect, I cannot thank or praise them enough. We had further trouble in Kalgoorlie, when I rang ahead to book into the Goldminer Caravan Park, they knew we were going to be late and went to the trouble of bringing us a bite to eat, when our 4wd was in the garage they offered to take us into town if we needed anything, these are great people, who helped for the sake of helping, our heartfelt thanks to Pete and Jeanette for looking after us. Even on the way home we had more trailer trouble and the people in the garage at Norseman did not just do the job but did their best to get us going with minimum fuss. So all in all, could not find much gold on the ground, but gold aplenty in the people we met and the country we saw, cannot wait to get back there again. To anyone thinking of going to WA, while you are looking for gold, see the great scenery and say G'day to some of the best people you will ever meet......Ray and Kris

Ray and Kris, its great hearing such wonderful stories even though you didn't find your fortune and the failure of your 4WD, regardless, your home safe and sound with many tales to tell, but most of all its good to know that there are still thoughtful people in this world of ours.

Cheers Peter.

Yes, I'm sorry to hear it wasn't all smooth sailing but it's often amazing the people you meet and the memories made when the going gets tough. Glad you had a heart warming experience. Super jealous of your adventure.

Latest posts