The Rain on my Roof.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefer

Ross Langlands
Reaction score
The Man on the Land, kicks at the sand
Where his crops used to stand
The Sun dried out the soil
And the wind blew it away.

So he prays every night
In the hope that it might
Bring the rain he so desperately needs
And he asks for an angel to water the last of his seed.

Bring the rain to my roof, please send the rain to my roof
Let it fall, ease my pain
Am I pleading in vain
Please, my angel this once, let it rain.

And his woman at home pleads on the phone
To her Mum and her Dad
Please send some cash, Things are looking so bad
For we've spent all the last that we had

She is tired and forlorn, there's no love going on
And the children aren't coping so well
For each night is so long and she knows that it;s wrong
But she feels she's been sentenced to hell!.So she cries.

You know the rain on my roof, is like a symphony
Rain drumming a rhythm, easing my brain
You know the rain on my roof is like a hymn to me
Rain singing a sweet tune to my soul.

Send the rain to my roof, Please send the rain to my roof
Let it fall, ease my pain
Am I pleading in vain
Please, my angel this once let it rain.

:Y: :( I remember my parents and us kids living that life, too true are those words reefer. For anyone feeling that pain remember your not alone and by no means is your situation a measure of you as a person your family loves you no matter what happens.

:Y: Spot on with your sentiments there mate! It was written during a period of drought a few years back now...can't for the life of me recall exactly, but I remember feeling a lot of empathy with our cockies forced into receiving drought relief..and many of them suffering terribly.
Like so much of my works..it lay gathering dust in my journal. :/ ...it was originally a song for them..that never seen the light of day.
Why might you ask?...Well, the angel sent the rains. :D

Further to RM Outback's reply....I wonder just how many of our members are primarily employed on the land...must be a few I reckon.

So where are you ...men and women on the land?....or are we all city slickers!... :eek:

Born and bred in the bush ( NT ) and as a kid watched my old man and mum battle drought , fires and flood . Dad didnt have a long life and we lost him in the late 60s . He was a man of the land and it took its toll . Mum didnt last that mutch longer and one wonders if we where city folk would things have been easier would our ( two brothers and a sister ) parents have a longer , happier life .
Who knows
But we all loved the bush and never really fitted into the city life when we finally moved to Adelaide . We all where bush kids at heart
One brother and beatifull sister go bush as often as possible
Other brother has a shack on the Murry River where he spends a lot of weekends .
I live in the Noosa area on a large block out of town
You can take a kid from the bush but not the bush out of the kid.

Boy out of the bush but not the bush out of the boy :Y: I'm hearing ya ...................... comes in handy also as many land owners are more relaxed having you on their property knowing you understand the running of the station, its stock ............................ and the value of it :Y: It's a nice feeling to know your regarded as an asset to have around rather than a pain in the ass :rolleyes:
As for rain on the roof ..................... not much beats drifting of to sleep with the sound of rain on a corrugated iron roof :)

Bogger said:
Boy out of the bush but noin them
the bush out of the boy :Y: I'm hearing ya ...................... comes in handy also as many land owners are more relaxed having you on their property knowing you understand the running of the station, its stock ............................ and the value of it :Y: It's a nice feeling to know your regarded as an asset to have around rather than a pain in the ass :rolleyes:
As for rain on the roof ..................... not much beats drifting of to sleep with the sound of rain on a corrugated iron roof :)

Do most my prospecting far N W Queensland and dont have too many problems gettig on stations but there are some who dont let you on because of ........ fossickers leaving holes unfilled and their rubbish every where .
People need to understand that unfilled holes cause massive erosion problems up there cos when it rains it offten turns to floods and those holes erode into minnie creeks.
The cattle can also loose their footing in them resulting in injurry and broken legs
The main difference between a prospector and a fossicker is a prospector does the right thing all the time both legally and morally .
Fossickers dont

Well then!...I once knew a man on the land...he and I were good mates..he was a WW1 digger.
Rnn a place of 38,000 square hectares..Called 'Yandilla'..Near Cobar.What a struggle he faced after the war..with setting up his 'Soldier Settlement' block.!!...If you're out there..and you are!.. Way out west and all over...! we care about you, Men and Women...On the Land

On the land you are very isolated especially in the 1950s when I was a kid .
But with the avent of modern communication the most remote parts of oz are able to keep in touch with the outside world and family and friends can check on their loved ones .
Unfortunately the men and woman in these remote areas still keep their emotions bottled up and often no one knows what they are going thru .
if you have family or friends living in the bush keep an eye on them . Never be scared to ask
ARE YOU OK MATE

Latest posts