The New Build.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFossickingKid

Angus Madden
Reaction score
My mining season is starting soon (winter months) and with the holidays getting closer I've decided to start a new project. This project will be the Hand Operated Trommel.
1457085462_image.jpeg

I will have a spray bar on this trommel which will be located above the hopper. I plan to just run a bilge pump on this.

Give me some feedback on this as it will be greatly appreciated before i start building it :).

Thanks.

Hi,
I'm going through a similar process using 6" pvc pipe with holes drilled instead of mesh using 2 different size holes and a seperate sluice for possible gems.
Have converted a Bunnings water trap as a feed hopper (cheap and easy)and plan a single spray outlet to pound the gravel. All experimental and easily modified (I hope).
Want to end up with something light and portable (maybe motor driven.

Have seen a good Youtube video on one similar to your design which I thought was very good using pvc t pieces as bearings for centre shaft, greased but not glued for easy replacement.
Also noted they used bungy cord to locate the legs similar to a dome tent. Try Google search/ Videos.
I intend to keep mine on the small side as I will probably be the only one operating it.

Cheers and let us know how you get on,
Bob

Design is looking good TFK, hope it comes together well.

You should get yourself some 2mm graph paper from the newsagency, it makes it so much easier when trying to design & draw something & you can get it more to scale etc. A small ruler helps as well & you can get all your angle & lengths correct & straight.

Don't use green glue. :eek:
Use blue glue. :D
If you use green glue,
You will come unstuck real quick. :lol:
Trust me. I know. :cool: :8

Heavy shtuff that PVC kid,... lucky you've got a hoist (ha). :D
Can't wait to see it through it's progression to finished and in use as the cold set's in. 8) :p :cool:

With the one I've built I've left key points unglued so I can pack it all up within the main cylinder and I can carry it with a strap on my shoulder and I can adjust the front legs to a few different angles but I don't have the bilge for it, good idea

Yea Silver, they are a good thing.
I used to use it when I was running my highbanker on submersible pumps.
The pumps ran off an invertor from batteries in the Landcruiser.
I used the trommel to classify the material and save run time on the highbanker pumps therefore saving battery life.
If I ever get it out again I'll put a clip of it up.

Latest posts