The Mighty C.R.W.B

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy guys and gals, this is a project that i have been working on & off now for the past 3-4years, it involves a man, a dream, and some gut busting work, not to mention the unpaid hours sunk into this from the owner & others who can see his vision as a light at the end of a dark tunnel.........
SO whats the idea and whats the C.R.W.B.....
The vision is a multi level hotel/motel underground, the C.R.W.B is the old Central Red White and Blue mine that existed from the late 1800's and was re-mined during the depression years.
Some of you might have heard the urban legend floating around about a man that built a glass house on top of an old mine shaft years ago and that you could stand in his lounge room on top of a glass sheet and with a flick of a switch you could see a hundred feet down to 1st level....... well there aint no urban legend about it its the real deal.
The hotel/motel idea has been set aside temporarily for the time being while we tackled more pressing issues, like the rise in bad gasses coming up through the shaft from colapsing mine shafts in the vicinty from when the drought broke some years ago, having a 2 story house with the front being 90% glass on top of a 25-2900 foot deep shaft below it, the house acts as a draw point for other shafts in the area that have cracked or fallen in, therefore filling his sub levels with bad air, or well below 16% oxygen.
The plan...we needed to open up the old vent rise some 20meters away and start a cycle where as the bad air could have an easy acess to escape(by forcing good air down the main shafts) without making its way into the lower levels of his dwellings.
First we had to find it... a quick call to a mate with an excavator and we had soon located the vent (rise) that had been backfilled in the depression years, after a full day we managed to get as deep as we were going to get with excavator now it was time to to timber up and backfill,and work on a plan of how to bog/remove the waste to clear the rise.
The red line is just a guide to where the air rise is located
1399357074_crwb_6_14_024-optimized.jpg

Digging kicked off with the excavator
1399357074_dsc05181-optimized.jpg

1399357074_dsc05186-optimized.jpg

1399357074_dsc05191-optimized.jpg

Eventually got to the stage where the 3tn couldnt reach any deeper but we needed to push down an extra 1-1/2meters to fit in the timbering.So on the hand tools.
1399357074_005-optimized.jpg

the top of the rise now
1399357531_crwb_6_14_020-optimized.jpg

looking down the air shaft
1399357531_crwb_6_14_021-optimized.jpg

So now we have to remove some 70cube of dirt to clear the rise so we can clear some of the bad air, the initial plan was to bog (dig) top down as if we were shrinking, but with added expences involved it was most likely well out of our reach, also with the dangers of working below a hoist and kibble, tight quarters, and poor air conditions once we started getting deeper the idea was tossed, so we decided to start removing the dirt from the bottom of the rise, now this can get trickey, and by that i mean "hang ups" this is when large rocks, old timbers, and anything else the old timers decided to throw in when the were backfilling, can get caught up at any level, therefore leading to a "hang up" and then you have to clear it somehow, this can be cleared by high pressure water blasting or a small explosive to shift the hang up....... fingers crossed this dosnt happen.
These first 2 pics are of the base of the air shaft at 1 level 100 feet down
1399358701_crwb_6_14_009-optimized.jpg

1399358701_crwb_6_14_012-optimized.jpg

Looking from the brow of the air rise back to the ladder way on the left is where a whims was used to lift dirt from intermediate level to 1 level the plan is to backfill an old stope there using the dirt from the air rise and try to keep throwing it down past 3 level (there is 100 plus feet between levels)
1399358701_crwb_6_14_010-optimized.jpg

This old sign was last used in the 1930's for winch operator commands, notice the old timber work in the background
1399358701_crwb_6_14_005-optimized.jpg

Looking down the ladderway from RL to 1 level, this timber work was done quite some time ago before the house was built, (not by myself), the guys that did this done a bang up job, the mian shaft consists of 3 shafts in 1
1399358702_crwb_6_14_001-optimized.jpg

So there you have it, its a slow process, done the right and safe way this will be quite successful and hopefully solve the issue of bad air floating up into the owners house,there is so much to explore and some exciting visions from the owner to come to light at a later date, but for the time being the priorty is to clear this rise.
1399359580_crwb_6_14_022-optimized.jpg

This is a pic from the top of the vent rise looking back to the house, the main shafts are directly centre of the house, i will keep you up to date as it progresses, with work and gold hunting in between its a slow process but we will get there eventually ;).......................................................................
And you never know what we might find lying down in the depths of the mighty C.R.W.B :eek:

TO BE CONTINUED......

Now how did you stay safe while digging that out, I would have been worried about the bottom of the shaft dropping away with me into the oblivion awaiting below(and the Dave Allan flames from Hell coming up just after I've gone down).

well what can one say? but f222k3ng aewsome! fantastic project , love to see professional people doing there stuff whatever that may be , thanks for taking the time to post all this
puts some of our other projects into perspective a bit :D :/
cheers , flashinthepan :cool:

That is one ambitious project going on there DWT, would be interesting to see a shot of the floor over the mine shaft.

I hope that spoil from the hole is going through a trommel or something!!

Cheers, Tone

WOW that's fantastic, thanks for posting!! If I owned that place I know where I would be keeping my wine :D Looking forward to the next update.

silver said:
Now how did you stay safe while digging that out, I would have been worried about the bottom of the shaft dropping away with me into the oblivion awaiting below(and the Dave Allan flames from Hell coming up just after I've gone down).

Same as any style of shrink mate, all T's crossed and I's dotted, ground batterd back with the excavator and scaled down before jumping in the top of the shaft, not before the base of the rise at 1 level was inspected.... ;)

any value in using an excavator mounted auger to drill a pilot hole down from the top of the air rise ?

with a 13 - 20 tonner you could keep adding drill extensions , until the pilot hole is done then use that hole to drop the dirt down to a relocatable conveyor belt at the bottom , attach a couple of hungry boards each side of the conveyor and use that as a safer way to clean the air rise ?

you dont have to lift out the auger each time you clear it , you could use hollow drill extensions set up as a vacuum to lift the drill spoil to the top and have one rotary vacuum union there to extract the spoil in to waste bins

Wow, you couldn't get a mine any closer to your house than that, amazing! I wish you the very best of luck in your venture, I hope your dreams come true, and I'm sure ome day you will get some of us wanting to stay there. :)

HeadsUp said:
any value in using an excavator mounted auger to drill a pilot hole down from the top of the air rise ?

with a 13 - 20 tonner you could keep adding drill extensions , until the pilot hole is done then use that hole to drop the dirt down to a relocatable conveyor belt at the bottom , attach a couple of hungry boards each side of the conveyor and use that as a safer way to clean the air rise ?

you dont have to lift out the auger each time you clear it , you could use hollow drill extensions set up as a vacuum to lift the drill spoil to the top and have one rotary vacuum union there to extract the spoil in to waste bins

It comes down to expense mate, the owner is on the back foot already, the work im doing is volantry, the excavator that is in the pics that cracked the first stage of the rise donated his time and machine for the day, "what man dosnt love to dig a hole" was his comment when i approached him about digging for us.
So just about all avenues have been looked at to remove this dirt on the safe and least expensive side, quite a few of us including the owner are sinking coin into this venture hoping there will be something at the end for all, who knows, but i take concillation in the fact by doing this its going to end up a lot safer for his family and visitors once the rise is cleared.
JUST A COUPLE OF FACTS>1 i have had a couple of close friends inspect the area and our plan, these guys have a minimum of 30 years expierence each in small/large scale mining, one in particular spent the best part of 15 years rise mining and shrinking as his full time job.
>2 at the base of the rise is a choke point, by that i mean the walls of the drive come in together some 2 feet each, greatly reducing the risk of a large inrush of waste coming pouring into the drive where we will be working. The bogging of the dirt is slow and tedious, but thats the nature of doing it right.
HeadsUp, the above method was our first initial plan,(great minds think alike) but for the quotes we recieved it was just way out of the ball park, once you mention mining every price seems to double and then some.
This is not a new way of clearing dirt, its been used for the last 100 plus years and is still being used in todays modern mining, safley and effectively. Its only a couple of months away from where i'll be being paid to do this exact same thing but on a much larger scale (4-5 times).
Thanks for all the ideas being passed forward i greatly appreciate them and keep them coming, a fresh set of eyes and ideas are almost a must, sometimes others can see things that you have either missed or taken for granted.
Cheers guys ;)

Latest posts