The Disappointment Nugget!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought this story might be nice to share. I went up waanyarra camping for the night couple weeks ago for some detecting. I was working the creek there when Im just scraping the walls with my detector listening very closely. When I hear the faintest change in tone. I investigate scrapping layer after layer of dirt away. I go to test it again and can swear its getting louder but Im not entirely sure if its anything at all or just ground noise. I persist for at least an hour, the wall was like hard rock/clay and I only had a Bunnings pick. After a long time Im 50/50 if it is a target or not but I just couldnt go on any further, its getting dark Im buggered and the pick I had was doing next to nothing. I almost needed a jack hammer. I left the next day leaving the wall as I wasnt even sure if it was anything. Fast forward to the weekend past I went up again for the night and was detecting thinking Il check that target in the wall. Had some serious rain before I came and was very wet and boggy. To my surprise no one had touched my hole in the wall. So I wave the coil over it and would you believe it I got a screaming target. I dug and dug having a new walco pick and the rain made it a lot easier. After some time I was atleast a foot or two in the wall into great looking ground and I was sure it was a thumper of a nugget I thought it just couldnt be anything else this deep in the wall. After more and more digging it turned out to be a huge chunk of old rusted iron! I was gutted I thought how the hell could something like this even get this deep! Anyway was a fun trip apart from that disappointment

I think every body has experienced a story like yours. In WA a mate came back to camp for lunch and said he was on a good thing, been digging for most of morning. Was already 3 foot deep. Went back with him and half hr later he uncover's a bore plug. They are a lump of concrete with steel rod in them. A good workout he had for sure.

Yep i think any one thats used a detector to search for gold has had similar experiences .
Its disapointing and its also exciting at the same time..its also amazing that the machine has picked up some thing deep etc.
Our last trip to WA i thought I had a huge screeming nugget and when i dug down it turned out to be a steel ball from a ball mill ..bit bigger than a golf ball ...
Screemed so load the digger came over to help me dig it out ..disapointed but we both laughed about it too.

Exactly the same result with a piece of lead about the size of a coffee mug top round after a dry winter on about 32 degree day, even got a mate to help promising 50/50 split, still have it sitting the shed shelf. Dont know whether to laugh or cry when it happens. Hope the next ones a winner bud.

Been there , done that and on the weekend i had similar experience digging for a target for nearly 10 minutes.
It was a couple of inches in the ground and i traced it with the pinpointer ,but lost and regained the signal several times until i realised the test nugget tucked away in my pocket on my knee was the culprit.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

VicGoldHunter said:
I thought this story might be nice to share. I went up waanyarra camping for the night couple weeks ago for some detecting. I was working the creek there when Im just scraping the walls with my detector listening very closely. When I hear the faintest change in tone. I investigate scrapping layer after layer of dirt away. I go to test it again and can swear its getting louder but Im not entirely sure if its anything at all or just ground noise. I persist for at least an hour, the wall was like hard rock/clay and I only had a Bunnings pick. After a long time Im 50/50 if it is a target or not but I just couldnt go on any further, its getting dark Im buggered and the pick I had was doing next to nothing. I almost needed a jack hammer. I left the next day leaving the wall as I wasnt even sure if it was anything. Fast forward to the weekend past I went up again for the night and was detecting thinking Il check that target in the wall. Had some serious rain before I came and was very wet and boggy. To my surprise no one had touched my hole in the wall. So I wave the coil over it and would you believe it I got a screaming target. I dug and dug having a new walco pick and the rain made it a lot easier. After some time I was atleast a foot or two in the wall into great looking ground and I was sure it was a thumper of a nugget I thought it just couldnt be anything else this deep in the wall. After more and more digging it turned out to be a huge chunk of old rusted iron! I was gutted I thought how the hell could something like this even get this deep! Anyway was a fun trip apart from that disappointment

Gday

You did exactly the right thing there, at least you have closure and know what the target was, its better that experience than coming back to the hole that someone else had finished off for you and later finding out they had pulled a nice nugget out of it :awful: if I had a dollar for every time that has happened to me then I would be rich but its all part and parcel of this detecting game, and at some stage you could realise that sometimes its more about the hunt than the finding that gives us the most pleasure and the drive to continue looking.

cheers

stayyerAU

StayyerAU said:
VicGoldHunter said:

Gday

You did exactly the right thing there, at least you have closure and know what the target was, its better that experience than coming back to the hole that someone else had finished off for you and later finding out they had pulled a nice nugget out of it :awful: if I had a dollar for every time that has happened to me then I would be rich but its all part and parcel of this detecting game, and at some stage you could realise that sometimes its more about the hunt than the finding that gives us the most pleasure and the drive to continue looking.

cheers

stayyerAU

So true, I felt sick leaving it In the wall thinking Ive just left a huge nugget for someone. The closure was a huge relief. Exactly the hunt is the most fun

I thought Jones Creek was on the no go list?
Happy to be proved wrong.

lordo.1 said:
When i dig a deep hole that takes awhile and only recover junk. I always go back to the ute and have a beer .Think about what might have been then get back to it .Needless to say i've drank a few beers in the bush sitting on the tailgate. Its part of the game.Gotta love it.

I may adopt that strategy! :D :playful:

Latest posts