The detector is in the car

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pinging a bit of gold with a lollipop is what it's all about but quite a bit of work is needed to get to that point. Spending time driving around and walking through new country is just as important as the "play time" that we all love. Being relatively new to this hobbie means that my knowledge base is quite poor. Building skills in relation to technique and developing knowledge is ongoing and provides just as much enjoyment as pushing a coil around on the ground.

I like to spend at least one day per week walking, driving and asking questions about country that I've never been into. It's purprising what you can find when you start looking. The difficult part is leaving the detector in the car or not bringing it at all. It becomes a distraction for me and often pulls me away from my plan for the day.

When I began detecting a few moths ago, all I could think about was getting out to the old gold fields and turning the machine on. There was nothing wrong with that as it provided me with the opportunity to learn a bit about the toy and what I could do with it. I must admit that there is a lot of playtime required before any expertise could be claimed but I am now feeling comfortable in using the GPX.

Today was quite windy so I decided to have a look around instead of waving the stick. With the help of Mr Google, I found some country that I wanted to explore.

This was the first stop on the track:
1501404039_img_0225.jpg

A quartz reef that was disturbed by forestry. There was a mine here apparently but no evidence of a shaft exists. It may have been filled in years ago.

The area I was looking at was heavily logged in the past couple of years. Although not a pretty sight, it did provide me with some interesting information:
1501404540_img_0230.jpg

The ground was disturbed with top soil and leaf litter removed in many areas. Some country revealed interesting features that would need further investigation:
1501404859_img_0229.jpg

1501404923_img_0221.jpg

Travelling along the track, the country changed all of a sudden:
1501405165_img_0223.jpg

1501405201_img_0227.jpg

Pretty exciting stuff... The high level tertiary gravels from an ancient river bed. This is definitely worth a closer look.

Have a look at what came into view next:
1501405450_img_0226.jpg

Why wasn't this area of forest cleared? Everything else was. Upon looking, the answer was obvious:
1501405642_img_0224.jpg

1501405642_img_0228.jpg

A series of shafts and tunnels that were constructed to get to the gold lying at the bottom of the old river bed.

For me it was a top afternoon out. You would like to think that no one else has been to this area for a hundred years or so. The reality is that thousands of people probably have. I would expect that many PA members have been there on numerous occasions but it was a first for me and that makes it special. I reckon that a few pieces of yellow are still to be pulled out of the ground in this region. It will just take some work. (No, you did not get it all)
Playtime with the toy will follow in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers for now

Les

Good work Les,
that spot looks high up well away from water. Don't forget there are other tools to collect gold other than the detector.
That spot may suit a dryblower in summer when it's dry enough to work properly.
:Y:

Great write up and photos Les.
You nailed it. Know the thoughts and experiences so well.
When you have the fever it's like you describe every time you go out ...... well, I certainly do.
Good luck!

Thanks for posting Lesgold,
Its empowering to be able to see, and read your thoughts and planning for what you will do in the days ahead.

Best of luck mate :Y:

cheers

I would take it that this is on the same Contour/Height as
what else is in the area. ???

Thanks for the kind words guys. What I saw today was "gold". Finding yellow would just be the icing on the cake. G'day Tathradj. The cogs are turning and yes you are correct. Walk for 10 minutes to the north and you are there. I reckon a good spot for a PA gathering. Like many areas, this one has been worked before. I don't mind sharing it as there are plenty of sandpits to play in and I'm lucky enough to be able to get out regularly. I will store this site away for a potential member gathering rather than giving the site up to individuals. That would then allow a group of people to enjoy the experience of a new location.

Cheers

Les

Thanks Les, I appreciate that. :Y: :Y:
Don't forget that the area is both Elluvial and Alluvial Gold. :D
That is what confused the Old Timers in that area.
There is an area that has a lot of red clay that if you can get
water up there, You would be blown away on what you can find.
They called that " Hard Gold. "
Too hard to transport to water and under an ounce a day that would
not pay wages back then. Plus processing the clay.
Enjoy what you have found. :D

Les I think that's the type of place to keep to yourself for a while and enjoy the time investigating it further. You might think that sharing it with others is the way to go but when it comes to gold many don't play fair. You are just as likely to find a group heading in to your favorite spot and cleaning it out while you are away. Trusted friends are hard to trust when it comes to gold so strangers from a website could be anybody when it comes down to it.

Thanks Moneybox. The reality is that the whole area where I play has been hit hard over many years. I am sure that I will find little pockets here and there that will produce a spec or two. Obviously, those special ones would be kept close to my chest. This area has been hit many times (and recently) There is some ground to cover over the next week or so and luckily, I have the time to do it. To me, it doesn't really matter if this area produces a nugget or two. It was awesome just being out in the bush on a beautiful day looking at what the old timers did to make a crust. Sharing it with like minded people would be gold for me.

Cheers

Les

looks like very familiar ground to me, Mount Helen, Canadian Mount Clear kind of ground. Those large white rocks look to be white hills gravels and the ironstone capping no doubt you have a little challenge on your hands thanks for sharing cant beat that bush i miss it very much

Latest posts