The addiction began

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I'd introduce myself and share some of my experiences. Early this year me and 2 mates went to eldorado for a bit of a camping/drinking trip and of course when in Rome do what the romans do so we took a gold pan each. After numerous drinks and no luck with the pan an older guy came and asked how we were going and I laughed and said it would be good if we new what we doing and he laughed and asked if we wanted some help and we gratefully accepted. Well this guy who I can't remember his name spent a good 4 hours with us and we found a few specs and he showed us how he uses a sieve and bucket with a river sluice and a bait pump it was awesome. I hope we run into this guy again to thank him for the tips and advice. Unfortunately now we are addicted. About 3 months ago I purchased a gs8 and my mate got an Angus mackirk river sluice each and with advice from fb and reading posts on here and trying places in the Yarra valley,around walhalla and Thornton we have found small amounts at all these places and it is so relaxing it's now my favourite hobby. I say unfortunately as it's costing me a fortune because now I've purchased a gs16 highbanker,pump and hoses which I'm heading to eldorado( where it all began) over Melbourne cup weekend to run the little beauty. Have tried it at home but that's a whole different story with so many newbie mistakes haha. Any way thanks for accepting me to your forum and good luck?

Welcome Sharpy.Yes it is a very addictive hobby but enjoyable as well,I reckon I found maybe 3 or 4 little specs the first time I went panning and was addicted to the gold after that day.The guy who spent a few hours teaching you guys the ropes may even be a member here.Thats what this forum is all about,passing on our knowledge and helping each other out as well as the social side of it. I want to head to Eldorado again one day,might see you on the creek.Enjoy the forum.

Welcome shapy, good that bloke gave you a hand, you're on your way into a fabulous hobby that will looking for that color for years.

Well done Sharpy, just wait till you find your first nugget thats when the gold fever really sets in :)

Latest posts