Technical Or Personal Experience Help Needed SD2000 to SD2200D

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I was reading through some of the different Minelab manuals for the various Models. Earlier ones seem quite the same for a few Models with no great difference eg: the SD2000 to the SD2200v2.

Q 1) In the SD2200d Manual it states:
The SD 2200D is supplied with an 11 Double D as its preferred Coil.

Coils supplied with the SD2100 will operate on the SD2200D.

Coils supplied with the SD2000 are not suitable for use with the SD2200D

I was just wondering as Julius Sumner Miller used to say Why is it so ? , since all basically use the same technology and battery packs. All mention their technology as MPS as well ??

Q 2) Next the GP Extreme and the GP3000 came out with the same battery packs as well but with new goodies:
Bi-level Pulse Induction and DVT, however no mention of MPS.

MPS does not come back into it again till the GP3500 is made. I have heard and spoken to old timers that say their old machines are better and punch deeper than the later models.

Could the GP Extreme and the GP3000 be these machines since they dont have MPS ??

Also both the GP Extreme and the GP3000 used DVT and the GP Extreme manual states : The new GP extreme 1100 and GP extreme 1800 coils have been specially designed to take advantage of the new DVT.

So were these coils specifically made for these two machines only, since it states :
In some circumstances, other Double D and Monoloop coils will work on the GP 3000, however there are limitations which will mean that a number of the new benefits of the DVT will not work properly. In some cases the use of coils not designed for the GP 3000 will cause the detector to be unstable and noisy.
After this MPS comes out again on the GPX3500 and all coils are interchangeable again it seems.

Hope someone with more experience and knowledge might be able to answer some of these queries either technically or through personal experience for me. Cheers

Basically, a load of crap about coils. I think the tea lady wrote some of those early manuals. I used early coils with different models and never had a problem, plus a few people were winding their own coils before Coiltek or Nuggetfinder came on the scene. At some stage marketing decided to encourage people to buy the latest coils rather than use ones from earlier models. More profit that way.

I'll try and simplify the technology part. Basically all Minelab PI machines are Multi Period Sensing, with a few tweaks along the way.

SD Series - MPS
GP Series - MPS + DVT
GPX4000 - MPS + DVT with some digitization of circuitry.
GPX4500 - a 4000 plus SETA (and other settings)
GPX5000 - 2 new timings and some circuitry changes to make them perform at optimum.

Many older coils particularly aftermarket would not work properly on the 5000. In some timings yes, but not all.

The 5000 required a very tight tolerance on coils so aftermarket guys were quick to react and put out coils that would be 100% compatible. I pretty much stuck to Commander coils early on, and the green Minelab 18" Mono (2nd series) before the new flat wounds hit the market.

Latest posts