Swinging At Reef Hills.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning C&S,

Just to follow up the National Park, State park and State Forest thing.

Actually, detecting in National Parks and State Parks in Victoria is generally banned although there are some exceptions - Reef Hills State Park near Benalla being one of those exceptions.

Full list of Parks that can be detected in can be seen here. https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/l...fossicking/where-you-can-prospect-and-fossick

Each Park provides a PDF of the allowable prospecting areas within it. For example there are some areas of the Chiltern Mt Pilot National Park that you are and aren't allowed to prospect in.

To the best of my knowledge detecting is allowable in all areas of all State Forests in Victoria with the exception of a few 'management areas'. There may be other exceptions that I am unaware of and happy for others to provide clarification.

Anything with with words like Park, Heritage, Cultural, Conservation, etc in the title need a little more investigation before proceeding.

But Reef Hills - go for it ;)

And there is detectable gold in Reef Hills. Found some a few years ago with the Gold Monster. Bloody tiny though. There is a bit of cowboy action go on in there sometimes as have seen large areas that have obviously had trailers backed in and loads full of potential gold bearing dirt taken away to process. Not a great look as it was obviously recent, obviously in the gold bearing areas and certainly not within the limitations of a Miner's Right.

Hope you find something and tame the 4500 :Y:

Thanks Northeast for clarifying the State Park thing....
Yep I totally hear you.....ive jumped on the earthresources link previously to find all the listed Parks that permit prospecting several times....

AS for Chiltern/Mt Pilot Range....dead right....there is some area there that you CANT prospect but there is plenty that you CAN also.
I have the defined area saved to my phone and gave GeoVic/Google Earth overlay also for when I go there...

I steer well-clear anytime of anything with Heritage, Cultural, Conservation, and 'management areas' (where they're obviously focused on renewell and forest health)

But yes I check every time before I even head off anywhere.

I also backfill the holes I dig....
yeah tbh filling in a hole u just spent 25 mins digging for a nail is tedious BUT its in the interest of ALL people who enjoy this hobby to do the right thing....
Otherwise ya know its gets a 'bad-name' and the end result of that is a negative impact on areas where we are able to detect/prospect..
Either by Govt or by the Greens.

Indeed there IS tiny Gold at RH so im told....met a guy a few weeks back who found a couple of tiny pieces detecting there...
And yes you can see that some have trailered away lots of dirt in areas at Reef Hills....

When I can I might head off to Creswick, Dunnoly and a couple of other places in time...
The 4500 ate all my saving so its local trips for me for a little while but I don't mind..

Yeap im looking forward to hearing what Gold sounds like on the 4500 ....thanks Northeast :Y:
:goldnugget: :cool:

Hi Colour&Shape. I also frequent the Reef Hills and also find lots of junk. I have found a few small pieces there in the past. Just got to keep trying. Cheers.

Latest posts