Sweeper Induced Metal Interferance

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Advice wanted from the experienced please:

My only work boots are steel cap,....so off to buy something more suitable. Probably order the DD metal free Gaitors too, not too keen on those wriggly sticks !

Apart from pick over the shoulder, what other metal on person is likely to create Detector interference ?
Is my garmin gps/belt buckle going to cause problems at waist level ?

Tips appreciated, thanks

Im wearing Oliver composit toe high ankles, comfortable even after four hours on my feet.
I normally carry my phone in my top pocket and forget its there when Im bending over the coil sifting through dirt for a target.
Matt T

Thanks SOF.

As a newbie, ive got a lot to learn, but am reading like crazy as I think im already addicted, and havent even found anything yet ,?

I did my research and decided on the 4500, as Miners Den had a special on, which I thought was great value this month.

Luckier than some that I could afford to start with such a machine.

I appreciate any advice, and as I gain experience, i contibute what I can here ?

Oliver composite toe high ankles, electrical safe, zip and zip tag all composite... Great shoes.

Interference is a bitch and not always where/what you think.

Direct coil interference is easy to sort of guess and manage... Get metal bits away...

The more subtle issues are around the shielding of the main box and or leads that are hanging about AND what may be generating / attracting splatter.

Sometimes it is hard to even guess or know. Thus if it si not 100% needed, leave it off.

Static GPS should be OK.. Phones I put into Airport mode, or disable WiFi Bluetooth and any no critical apps... Depending on the transmit power, UHF Radio is questionable... Think of Detector picking up low frequency splatter from electrical storm etc many many miles away...

There are lots of variables, and unknowns. So if not critical, leave it at a start or end point. I often grid and could be a few miles from the car, but will have water and no essential shit stashed at some point, where I can get it but not go all the way back to the car... Every hunt is different.

I wear steel caped boots and simply
adjust my gait and swing to compensate.

Mind you, It is a small challenge when I have the
15" nugget finder on with the machine cranked up.

I cannot have my Garret pro 11 pin pointer any
where near myself as it sends them crazy even when
turned off.
Especially the SDC.

glasses in your top shirt pocket did my head in for a while, when you are bending over sorting stuff over the coil and when using a big coil on the 45 I need to carry my pick over the shoulder not on my hip.

Thanks Anger Man, good advice.

Everyones tips are appreciated. I going with the Oliver non metal boots.
Didnt think of brass belt buckle, where the hell am i gonna find one of those these days? Army disposals, maybe?

Doing a road trip down to South West Rocks end of March. On the way I aim to try detecting west of Coffs area, Nana Glen, Bucca, and State forest areas. Still researching info though.

BigWave said:
I have a titanium left knee, so need to keep the detector coil centre to right, swinging to the left only when left leg is back.
I carry a pick on belt LHS and hunting knife on belt RHS - no problems with my 4500.
Brass belt buckle is no problem.
Some pinpointers interfere even when turned off.

Same as BW, I have a rod from knee to ankle with a fair few screws on my left leg, No problems with 4500 up to 18" coil

Rossi boots do it for me; used them for years; no staples or metal at all.. made in Australia.
magneticsand said:
old hand said:
Just get some red back boots no steel and you should be OK :Y:

Yeah, nah, that isnt always true. The last two sets I bought had steelcaps.

Redfin said:
BigWave said:
I have a titanium left knee, so need to keep the detector coil centre to right, swinging to the left only when left leg is back.
I carry a pick on belt LHS and hunting knife on belt RHS - no problems with my 4500.
Brass belt buckle is no problem.
Some pinpointers interfere even when turned off.

Same as BW, I have a rod from knee to ankle with a fair few screws on my left leg, No problems with 4500 up to 18" coil

I work in healthcare, as far as I know implantable devices such as your Tibial Nail are made of Titanium, so a non ferrous metal.

So there's todays triva for everyone :)

Latest posts