surprise at the bottom of unfilled hole

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was having a dig in the Vulcan state forest and came across a hole 2.5-3m deep, at the bottom was a baby fallow deer, pity, it would've been much better off on my dinner plate.
1419902676_rsz_dsc_0327.jpg

I agree better on your dinner plate than a slow and painful death. We have to be careful out there especially if you are on your own it could be one of us next time.

I was around that way today. What's the point of such a deep hole... Gold? I know the area is known for Sapphires, but I thought they were mostly in the upper layers?

I'm not sure, this area is in a different part of the forest, there was a mining survey done in the early 90s so I'm not sure if it's that hole (would it last 20yrs?) I dug a test hole and the wash is very shallow, so maybe trying to find bedrock?

The company which had exploration rights (1600acres from memory) in the 90's used backhoes etc.
I fired off letters to the department which I think (hope) were influential in having the permits cancelled.
At least that is what their replies indicated.

My mate, who was one of the old timers, reckoned the area of and around Sapphire Bend was a crater lake remnant of a volcano. His theory was based on the regular ripples in the floor of the wash band. There are places where several wash bands at depth separated by fine sediments can be identified.

We dug quite a few holes like the one shown, but we always backfilled. My old mate was like a human backhoe, a test hole like that we (mainly he) would dig in 2 days.

There are open holes like that around Chain of Ponds, my dog fell in one, took ages to find her, the only time she lost her voice!

Although I now live around Glen Innes, I have never seen stone to rival the blues from the Black Springs area.
Mike

That's interesting Boobook. My new place I'm moving to next year borders the forest, did you guys find much in the NW section of the forest? I was thinking about taking my dog out with me but what happened to yours scares me to death, at 65kg a fall that deep will kill him.

Matturbo.
Could you give me some approx. co ordinates? I retained quite a few of my notes (sadly, not all!)

We also spent a lot of time in the Dogs Rocks forest W of Swallows nest.
Found some very rich pockets but the bloody place was hard going plus plenty of tigers.
Mike

We basically went right through all that area concentrating on ground depressions/swampy spots. (and usually off the main tracks)
Where you mention is right amongst it, but don't forget those Holocene alluvial washes covered a huge area. Rich pockets can be anywhere.
If you have the Edith topo map you can identify the drainage pattern and depression areas.
Pity the stuff ain't worth much these days.

Used a metal rod, about 5'long, flattened end and a T handle to work down until the scratching of wash is heard. Did a few test pokes looking to find a slope down in the wash. Once the slope pattern was established dug by way of trenching, our best results was always by way of a "pocket"

We rough camped under a tarp, used a Willoughby for wet sieving and left no trace of being there. This was late 70's to the 80's in between sluicing gold at Trunkey Creek.
Mike

Latest posts