Stumped on a word/term help me out?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieChris

Checks in from time to time.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all, sitting here past midnight with a word on the tip of my tongue, wondering if any gemstone Fossikers in particular can save me from going mad.......what are the oversized classifiers that you spin kinda on the tips of your fingers in a stop, start, shake motion? Then when the heavies settle you flip. They are much larger than a bucket classifier at a guess at least 600mm and are a really fine mesh, like 50-100.
I hope someone knows the name of them!

Heh nevermind, it just came to me SARUCA :Y: bloody fool lol

Mods just delete if you wanna!

haha thanks fellas, was thinking of those Sarucas. Basically a sieve yes, pretty interesting to see them in action, especially by a skilled user.

1518497892_saruca-gem.jpg

Years ago we only had 16" bricky sieves,no aluminium ones or plastic.
A bit of practice and a hessian bag and Bobs ya Uncle.
Not too good for the back however most of the sieving was done under the waterline.
Nice looking set mate.
Mackka

AussieChris said:
Hey all, sitting here past midnight with a word on the tip of my tongue, wondering if any gemstone Fossikers in particular can save me from going mad.......what are the oversized classifiers that you spin kinda on the tips of your fingers in a stop, start, shake motion? Then when the heavies settle you flip. They are much larger than a bucket classifier at a guess at least 600mm and are a really fine mesh, like 50-100.
I hope someone knows the name of them!

Heh nevermind, it just came to me SARUCA :Y: bloody fool lol

Mods just delete if you wanna!

Nah don't do that, we wanna have some fun at his expense first!

haha thanks, Olphart!

I was sitting there frustrated as can be trying to remember the name, exchanged pm's with Marksman a little past midnight and had him guessing too for 20 mins.
Said to him I give in and I'll hit you all up for the answer, moment I pressed send it came to me.

Seruca or Saruca, I guess it depends on where you are from. I would love to DIY one out of an old 16" or possibly 18" BMX wheel. Would be fun out Native Dog.........

Cant seem to get it to embed but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf8AuNDm2NM&t

Bobby1 said:
Hi,
Can someone please tell me am I allowed to pan
In the Dargo River

No, you are not. The bed of the river and crown land within 20.12m of either bank is off limits. Same for the Wonnangatta, Wongungarra, Crooked and Wentworth rivers.

The Geovic website only mentions the Dargo River, tributary of the River Murray, which would be entirely on the wrong side of the Great Divide, but that is due to the person who compiled the list being geographically challenged. The original government gazettes that reserved the rivers and land from sale and later exempted (exepted) them from mining have it correctly located as a tributary of the Mitchell.

Sorry for contributing to a thread hijack AussieChris, glad you remembered the saruca.

Latest posts