Stones I have cut

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dihusky said:
Love the design and colour, pretty intense, never come across 'Oxblood' citrines, what's their origin?

Might have to put the Nymphia design into Gemcuts and have a play

Gday Dihusky. As I disclosed in the for sale thread, Oxblood citrine is the marketing name for natural amethyst crystals of faceting grade that have been heated in a similar manner to Tanzanite, upon which one form of iron in the crystal lattice which is partly responsable for the purple colour is permanently transformed into a different form of iron, whereupon the colour becomes deep orange. Similar way in which gold tiger eye becomes red tiger eye (though this can apparently occur naturally, though fairly rarely). I got this crystal from Glen Huntly.

I think this design has a lot of potential - I've never tried it in anything above RI=1.54, for which it was designed. I might look awesome in higher RI's!

You never know Lefty.... This day and age Anything is possible.... :)
Another Quality Stone...
Have you been busy after chucking in the 9-5 routine ?

LW....

She's up and down in waves mate, which I expect will be the nature of it. But I'm loving doing what I love doing :)

Lefty said:
She's up and down in waves mate, which I expect will be the nature of it. But I'm loving doing what I love doing :)

I find faceting one of the greatest ways of switching off other things, come home from work, onto the machine and the previous 8 hrs are a million miles away, even with the frustrations of stones going wrong, like my last 3! :mad: The more interesting the design, the greater the separation from woes or anything else.

Have to see if I have the .gem file for Nymphia then I don't have to start from scratch, just plug and play

Dihusky said:
Lefty said:

I find faceting one of the greatest ways of switching off other things, come home from work, onto the machine and the previous 8 hrs are a million miles away, even with the frustrations of stones going wrong, like my last 3! :mad: The more interesting the design, the greater the separation from woes or anything else.

Have to see if I have the .gem file for Nymphia then I don't have to start from scratch, just plug and play

Yep - be one with the rock :D

Put Nymphia into Gemcut and when I looked at the render image it really highlighted the dark centre so did some tweaks to bring a few highlights into the table area, would be interesting to cut the altered design, tweaked it again for Amethyst then altered for 1.76 so got a bit of cutting ahead to see what difference it makes.

If your interested, PM me with your email and I'll send you the tweaked designs.

Unfortunately I can't work out how to capture the render images so I can post for all to see.

4.5 carat Harts range garnet in a modified version of Akhavan's "Fallen Star". The design gives the impression that the sides are curved and scalloped out but this is an optical illusion. The 5 sides are dead straight, the illusion is created by "upside-down" barion facets on the crown.

1549083310_51128868_190406875251915_1970181543980695552_o.jpg

Another couple off their Dops, lovely piece of Ametrine 9 x 11mm, 4.8ct
1549179277_ametrine-11x9.jpg

Love cutting Ametrine, possesses so many unpredictable colour attributes and I feel these really add to the character.

Then finished the Chrysoberyl, only a titch at 5mm and 0.8ct, but blings up a treat.
1549179370_chrysoberyl-5mm.jpg

Similar hardness to Sapphire, but a lovely material to cut, no nasty characteristics. Bit of a pain finishing this one as the spring on the gauge follower/angle cheater snapped part way through cutting this, but got it done.

Now the 2000's going to have a major service plus a new quill coming down from Horst.

Hi Dihusky, Fab looking stones there and great images too.
Cheers, SinHof.

Very nice Dihusky :Y: Love ametrine as well. Have a nice piece on the dop that wasn't finished due to a bad tilt on transfer, will get back to it soon hopefully.

Horst Ricker services your machine type?

Lefty said:
Very nice Dihusky :Y: Love ametrine as well. Have a nice piece on the dop that wasn't finished due to a bad tilt on transfer, will get back to it soon hopefully.

Horst Ricker services your machine type?

I believe he does, but I'll be doing the servicing myself, he's making the new quill which has a collet style clamp not the side clamping screw which can easily throw a stone off a few thou.

I have an engineering background and used to service stuff like dive equipment, so these machines are pretty straight forward, the tricky and time consuming part is doing the final alignment to within 1/10th of a Gnat's whisker ;)

Got the Gemmasta Gem Grinder to do this winter as well, but that'll take a lot longer.

Thanks for the :Y: on the stones :)

Not quite from SE QLD or NE NSW, but faceted here in QLD: a nice piece of......erm, glass :D :D :D "Fossicked" by my father-in-law from the garden bed of a motel in Germany. The piece he brought home was the exact same shape that boules of synthetic faceting material tend to be. However, it was definately not created for faceting, it's soft and very, very brittle - not easy to work with, chips and deep scratches keep causing meets to be moved. This was originally going to be Voltilini's "Superstarfish dome 80" but a piece of the top broke out in the late cutting stages, forcing me to either scrap everything and start over.....or cut in a table. I didn't want to as I suspected it would window without the apex crown of the design. As you can see, it does (though the effect doesn't look quite as obvious as I was expecting). But it still looks nice and he's happy to have a nice memento of his European holiday.

1549418700_51480984_191751155117487_8003254020850319360_n_1.jpg

1549418714_51392704_191751118450824_5554632331483938816_n.jpg

1549418729_51176024_191751095117493_1210566159062007808_n.jpg

I reckon the culet angle is just a whisker above critical - absolutely dead on I can't see out the bottom but just the bare slightest tilt and the window forms. Too bad about the issue that forced me to cut a flat table rather than the low apex that the original design has. Anyway, it still looks good and father-in-law likes it and that's what counts here. :D

Latest posts