Stone identity

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1457587539_screenshot_2016-03-10-15-49-44.png

I was going back through some of the quartz I'd picked out from my trip to Oberon, as I wasn't confident about identification, I kept anything that was clear. I found this stone which looks different to all the rocks I understand to be quartz. I had also found what members of the forum had helped me identify as possibly zircons and a yellow sapphire, this stone seems to have the same texture and look to it as the zircons. Could it be a white zircon? I'd SG test it, but when I feel it may be too small for an accurate reading.
(sorry about photo quality, its the best I could do)
Cheers
Gnome

Look at any chips or fractures on the stone EG - if there are concoidal (shell-like) divots out of it, it's not quartz, but, if there are divots out of it that have irregular crystalisation, then it's quartz.

Sorry Heatho, I guess the photo doesn't help. I took another one here. I'm not worried though, it was just more so I have an idea what future stones might be, getting my eye in for ID. I appreciate you having a look though.
Thanks for the tip Mungoman, its been washed pretty smooth, there doesn't seem any fractures on it. But I'll definitely look out for that on anything else i might find!
1457652181_img_6243.jpg

No need for apologies mungo I just thought you wrote your description back to front :p
Jon

Latest posts