SPP quirk

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reg

Reaction score
For those of you who have the SPP, you may run into something strange and that is, the detector will not autotune back to normal. Instead it might sort of groan and take a while before the threshold slowly reduces to the normal signal. Usually, a quick bob of the coil over the ground will reset everything.

Other people may run into a different problem if they have been working on their SPP and that problem is; when you turn the detector on, you may start out with a loud signal that dies away slowly. A quick way to eliminate that sound is to simply turn the detector on with the coil on the ground and lift the coil quickly a little. Another way is to bob the coil quickly towards and close to the ground.

Both of these problems are cause by a circuit that doesn't do anything located in the SPP. This circuit is a carryover from Eric Foster's old GS 5 design in which he installed a circuit to try to eliminate the drift he had in his GS 5. Ultimately, he found the drift caused by a transistor and corrected that problem but left his original idea.

The solution to both of the problems mentioned is to have someone knowledgeable with surface mount part replacement and repair place a small Jumper across C42 located close to U12. C42 is not needed but it can't be just taken out without replacing it with a jumper. So, just soldering a small wire across it works fine.

I mentioned C42 before but didn't clarify it that much.

Reg

Reg' I have jumped C42 and the start up tone doesn't last long at all now, I noticed it worse before using small coils but like you said turn the machine on with the coil on the ground and the signal disappeared the quickest.

Latest posts