SPP or Get another GP Etreme

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Being trolling around for awhile looking for a cheap 2nd PI detector. One that I can use without worrying too much about the fact I might break it carrying it into difficult spots. one that won't end in a divorce, and if not divorced, be able to let my wife use it when we detect together.

What's the opinion here??
SPP looks the goods, but the GP Minelab has the track record.
Minelab harder to carry, but I think it might be the better detector for the 1500 buck mark.
I already have coils for it, but only mono from the GPX.
Folded mono for the SPP looks more sensitive.

I guess this is the same question everybody asks when they buy an SPP.

Also made my first ever YouTube video of the areas I go so you "Whites" guys know why I keep asking these questions.
It's not a strictly a detecting video, but did take the MXT out after the spot was soooo riddled with tin cans I just couldn't use the GPX5000. Gold is quite shallow in parts, but it's there.
MXT only picked up the bigger bits. So going back next month to clean it up.
Had to edit quite a bit, as the mine might be a give away, but good luck getting in if you figure it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecUvJ2-G1FQ

GD

The SPP with a 7x11 folded or 7.5x12 folded, will give you the best of both worlds and very light' will be a lot better than the MXT in that soil.

Any of the minelabs are heavy and awkward.

Love the little touring bike' perfect to zip around with!

Gold Diver said:
Hi Guys,

Being trolling around for awhile looking for a cheap 2nd PI detector. One that I can use without worrying too much about the fact I might break it carrying it into difficult spots. one that won't end in a divorce, and if not divorced, be able to let my wife use it when we detect together.

What's the opinion here??
SPP looks the goods, but the GP Minelab has the track record.
Minelab harder to carry, but I think it might be the better detector for the 1500 buck mark.
I already have coils for it, but only mono from the GPX.
Folded mono for the SPP looks more sensitive.

I guess this is the same question everybody asks when they buy an SPP.

Also made my first ever YouTube video of the areas I go so you "Whites" guys know why I keep asking these questions.
It's not a strictly a detecting video, but did take the MXT out after the spot was soooo riddled with tin cans I just couldn't use the GPX5000. Gold is quite shallow in parts, but it's there.
MXT only picked up the bigger bits. So going back next month to clean it up.
Had to edit quite a bit, as the mine might be a give away, but good luck getting in if you figure it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecUvJ2-G1FQ

GD
I Agree with Luke, But you have another Option Too, and that is picking up a second hand TDI pro, then you will have the conductivity switch and the Pulse Delay which will help you wipe out unwanted Targets and with A Bit of Luck you might be able to find one still under warranty, Either way I would go with either the SSP, SL, or the Pro and those MJ coil are Hot as Luke as Proved a dozen times over,

Just a Thought,,, John

Good advice on the Whites.

It's hard to know when I can't get my hands on one. Goldsearch has offered to hire one before I buy, but I might just bite the bullet.
I will keep an eye out for a used TDI SL, or Oz in the next few weeks on GumTree.

I love riding the bike in the desert (until I get lost) which I did in that video.
It really makes the trip enjoyable.
Advice here is buy a good bike and run top of the range tyres and rims.
Cheap bike = spokes in your tube in that ground.
20 km walk is not fun.

GD

Gold Diver said:
Good advice on the Whites.

It's hard to know when I can't get my hands on one. Goldsearch has offered to hire one before I buy, but I might just bite the bullet.
I will keep an eye out for a used TDI SL, or Oz in the next few weeks on GumTree.

I love riding the bike in the desert (until I get lost) which I did in that video.
It really makes the trip enjoyable.
Advice here is buy a good bike and run top of the range tyres and rims.
Cheap bike = spokes in your tube in that ground.
20 km walk is not fun.

GD

Well I bought the SL and It found the subway Tunnel about 6 or 8 feet down, So they have the power, But as Luke said those MJ coils really give them the edge, I want the 14" Mono and the 6x10 and the 7x11 folded mono's, I got the TDI DF 7.5 and I cant see much use in it apart from lowering the amount of ground the detector see's so give that one A Miss and that 150 Coil, The standard 12" is Good as well,

Good Luck,,, John

Go for the EXTREME a friend purchased one 4 weeks ago using it in mono with the standard dd coil he has found 17 grams in pieces all small about 70 bits.
I have had both and found gold with both I feel the extreme is the better way to go regards john :)

I wouldn't Bother with an Out Dated Detector when you can have A New one with a 2 year Warranty that you can still get parts for without having resort to taking it to A Chop Shop Somewhere. A person can dig up relics there's no need to Buy them.

Latest posts