Sovereign hill

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A question got asked by my little fella as to the gold at sovereign hill
After finding his collection he asked me why does it look like it's been shaved
After having a close look at it
It does look like shaved gold/brass my question is
Is it gold and and why does it look shaved :/
Just so when he takes it in to school for show and tell his got a bit of a defence as to why it looks the way it does

I'd say it's real gold, but being sovereign hill there is always the chance that metal filings have worked their way into the fake creek system of there's.

I haven't been there for 15 years though but I remember the gold I found looked like alluvial and not shaved.

My "guess" would be, if you think about how much gold would be put in there to be panned out. Shavings would be heavier and a little more obvious than dust and easier to pan out for beginners. I'd say would have a sort of planing machine to replenish the creek of gold apposed to grinding bullion.

Maybe I should train the young fella up and if he can pan out 5g with a little help from dad it might cover our entry lol
If it is gold that means the little buggers got more gold than me

It would be gold. The entry fee covers the cost of what goes into the creek. You just need a plan of attack. Imagine "Dad" rockin up with a high banker and all the gear 8) the look on the attendants faces would be priceless :D

It is gold shavings as the creek is seeded for the hoards, I was talking to one of the guys down there that do the "seeding".

Cheers
Brad...

In the old days I remember panning gold there, in fact I have a couple of those little bottles you get from the souvenir shop to put the gold you find in, with a bit of gold and I'd have to say to me it looks a lot like real alluvial gold.

My most recent trip out there a couple years ago I too noticed the gold had changed and looked a whole lot more like filings that like real gold from the wild. I use to know a bloke that volunteered there and he said that artificial creek \ waterway whatever you want to call it does get seeded daily for the tourists to pan. Makes sense really, would be much fun going there and finding nothing!

It's real gold, Sovereign Hill buy x$$$ worth of gold and salt the water every month. The flake gold is best because it takes longer to settle to the bottom. If you watch the inexperienced pan, they take gravel from the top and shovel into their pan. They will still find the flake gold despite experience.
Here is a tip..... The bottom is concrete. I'm sure you can work out how to get some good colour. I did ?

Latest posts