Something Interesting I have just come across re licensed Crown land

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just found this this re licensed Crown land and changes in the act to allow for camping on these grounds from sept 2021 the push was from Victorian fisheries to get fisherman more access to crown land that is licensed land. They have managed to get the right to camp on this land through and passed. Could in theory open a lot of new ground up for mining.

The interesting read can be found here https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fishing/targetonemillion2/crownland

where the nugget said:
I just found this this re licensed Crown land and changes in the act to allow for camping on these grounds from sept 2021 the push was from Victorian fisheries to get fisherman more access to crown land that is licensed land. They have managed to get the right to camp on this land through and passed. Could in theory open a lot of new ground up for mining.

The interesting read can be found here https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fishing/targetonemillion2/crownland
Not greatly as the restrictions still apply as to where you can pan etc. You could always walk through such crown land in theory, just not camp. Only 20% of Victoria's water frontage is crown land and it is typically 20-30 m wide. And you may still have cows knocking down your tent...

When looking at what I need to do to get my fossicking licence for Victoria I noticed that there were restrictions that read " gold panning, and non mechanical hand tools and river sluices" does that exclude highbankers in that case? Seeing as there is a mechanical component to them ie. the pump??

7gtR.gif

Nirvanadirt said:
When looking at what I need to do to get my fossicking licence for Victoria I noticed that there were restrictions that read " gold panning, and non mechanical hand tools and river sluices" does that exclude highbankers in that case? Seeing as there is a mechanical component to them ie. the pump??

Highbankers are legal in Victoria with petrol/diesel or battery pump.

Your obligations in Victoria under the Mineral Resources Act 1990:
MINERAL RESOURCES (SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT) ACT 1990 said:
SECT 58 Obligations of holder

S. 58(1)amended by No. 82/2000 s.50(1)(a).

(1) The holder of aminer's right acting under that right must not

(a) use any equipment for the purposes of excavation on the land, other than non-mechanical hand tools; or

(b) use explosives on the land; or

(c) remove or damage any tree or shrub on the land; or

S. 58(1)(d)substituted by No. 16/2006 s.198(Sch.2item 5(7)).

(d) disturb any Aboriginal cultural heritage (within the meaning of theAboriginal Heritage Act 2006) on the land.

Penalty: 100 penalty units.

S. 58(2)amended by No. 82/2000 s.50(1)(b).

(2) The holder of aminer's right must repair any damage to the land arising out of thesearch.

Penalty: 50 penalty units.

S. 58(3)inserted by No. 82/2000 s.50(2).

(3) The holder of aminer's right must produce theminer's right for inspection if asked to do so by aninspectoror any person acting under a delegation conferred undersection 91(b).

What the Earth Resources website says:
You can use picks, shovels, hammers, sieves, shakers, electronic detectors and other similar tools. No machinery is permitted and no explosives can be used on the land.
That's a bit confusing? But:
You are only permitted to use hand tools such as metal detectors, picks, shovels, sieves and pans. You must not:
use any equipment for excavation other than non-mechanical hand tools,
use explosives,
remove or damage any tree or shrub,
disturb any Aboriginal places or objects, and
disturb any historic place, object or archaeological site/relic on the land.

Keep an eye out for the word "processing" to be snuck in. That one word %/@ed NSW.

This topic was discussed to death when it was first announced ....... with some REALLY "friendly" banter .... NOT.

Thanks masko for actually referring to Victorian legislation, can get very confusing when interstaters start quoting regulations that apply in their state rather than the state that the OP comes from (unless he/she specifically asks for i'state info). One of the reasons I try to avoid commenting on regulations from Qld, NSW, WA etc etc ....... I just don't know what they are.

As you state only non mechanical "excavation" ...... processing the excavated material can be by any means.

Latest posts