Some rocks and minerals from overseas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My mum just got back from Norway, where my brother lives and just got married. Knowing I love my rocks, she brought a few back that looked interesting from my brothers house and a two mineral samples from a local geological museum.
Not sure what the pink rock is as yet, there is a mica schist that has a few small garnets in it and a gneiss with some nice pyrite cubes (hard to see in photo).

The rest are from a national geographic series that we got for my daughter..... and maybe myself ;) Some samples are better than others, but my daughter has learnt a lot and has lots of pretty rocks :D
Gold from Spain (leaf), rose quartz from Brazil, amethyst from Brazil, tigers eye from Spain, "Desert rose" from Mexico, galena from Spain, Blue agate from Brazil, fuchsite from Brazil, rhodonite from South Africa, Celestine from Madagascar, pyrite from Peru, fluorite from China, red jasper from Brazil, "Iceland spar" Mexico, aragonite from Morocco, azurite from Morocco, geode from Brazil, obsidian from USA, emerald from Colombia, jadeite from China

Nice collection going on there shivan! I knew I should have collected them "for my children" as well but usually the samples arnt that great but your photos proove me terribly wrong.

The pinky red one.. is it Rhodonite?

G'day mate, my wife got the first edition for me as it was gold. The mag and mineral leaflet was great but we had covered most of the stuff at UNI and I could not justify getting it for myself. My daughter ended up showing an interest, so that seemed like a good collection for her to start.

The pink rock in the top second photo has a local name which I have forgotten, I did not think of Rhodonite as I am used to seeing it with the black manganese oxide running through. Looking at it a bit more closely though I can see some white feldspar and am wondering if the pink is also feldspar.

Latest posts