Some old photos that may be of interest.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 14190

Too old to care anyway.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have been doing my fathers family history for some time and came across some old photos that may be of interest.

1553041143_img369.jpg

This one is of miners at an old Silver, Lead Zinc mine at Walla Walla near Rye Park, NSW. Was apparently run by Germans prior to the First World War, when the war broke out it was abandoned. Have been there a couple of times, but I understand that the current owners of the property will not allow any further access. I did get an assay report done back in the late 1960's but have no idea where it is now. There were traces of gold.

1553041459_img370.jpg

This one was of shearing at Kenyu which was a property not far from Frogmore NSW where my Great Great Grandfather worked as a Baker after being released from Penal Servitude after being shipped out from England in 1827. He died in 1848 and is buried at A Frogmore Cemetry that no longer shows on any maps. Of Interest to me was the wool press on the right side of the picture. Apparently the rather large log on its side was raised to the top of the structure, the wool placed in bags below and the log was dropped to compact the wool. All good for OH&S. I was unable to get the photos to sit how I wanted.

They are fantastic photographs :perfect: too hear a tale from those people :Y: we'd be considered alien showing them touch phones and the like even though all of us have ancestoral links to those days.

Really love seeing these old pics and even better that they have a personal connection. Any more?

Here is one of the Blacksmiths shop in Rye Park around 1910, my Grandfather along with another blacksmith became involved in the building of horse drawn vehicles not long after this was taken.

1553130122_img373.jpg

Here are some of the wood stock that was kept to be able to repair broken horse drawn vehicles in August 1919.

1553130233_img371.jpg

A Hair cut was sixpence, a full set of shoes for a horse was Three Pounds, there was nothing that the village blacksmith was not able to mend/fix. I know that one of my relations who was also a blacksmith was supposed to have a well half full of his working tools because when things would go wrong he would throw the tools in the well, I think he might have been thinking a "good workman always blames his tools"

1553130309_img372.jpg

One of a used lot of horse drawn vehicles

1553133047_new_image.3.jpg

The last one of a wind generator that my father made back in the late 1920's. It was an old generator removed from an old car and ran a 6 volt globe in each room of the house, all the brothers and sisters liked it because they no longer had to carry around a candle or kerosene lamp, I sort of remember a battery being connected so there was light when no wind, which was a rarely where the house was situated. He later became the installer of Moffat Virtue lighting and shearing plants over I think most of Southern NSW.

1553133647_new_image.1.jpg

These are not quite as old as some above but a bit of family history, these are from the mid 1920s and feature my great grandfather and grandfather. They lived in Golden Square, Bendigo and for those that live in the GT there may be some names on the photos you might know.
The photo with them all dressed in their finest is from the Bendigo Preserving Co (Henry Jones IXL) my grandfather back row top left and my great grandfather centre front (Potters)
Grandfather features in both of the Golden Square Fire Fighter photos as well.
1553134847_image.jpg

1553134884_image.jpg

1553134907_image.jpg

Latest posts