some advice needed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garnethawkins

kinda obvious wouldn't ya say?
Reaction score
Hey guys, i have been granted permission to check out a property between tumut and adelong, and as far as mining/prospecting goes the ground is technically virgin, but last year the owner had a minor landslide and during damage inspection and inevitable clean up using a bull dozer a couple of grams were found pretty much by accident, so he knows its good ground.
anyway, when the dozer went through it opened up an extinct creek bed and my question is what should i attack first? The dirt they moved or dive straight into the old creek?
Cheers in advance
Garnet

Get into the dirt with a gold bug or whites GMT some small nuggets have come from those areas in the past.
The creeks are too cold around there!

first i'd hit the old creek bed that has been exposed as there should be less chance of hitting rubbish and more chance of good gold and i'd do it before someone sneaks in and hits it first, then hit the overburden pile.
regards trashmagnet

Cheers trash sounds like good advice and Luke i will be running my AT GOLD and don't need to worry about the creek being cold its no longer active its just a section of old creek that got dug up.
Hopefully i will get up there this week and my detector will finally start finding what i bought it to find lol

Gday Garnet,
The whole area was extensively mined by digging into both shallow and deep leeds.
Most of the gold that made its way into the creeks in the areas was shed from these ancient river beds.
You have a head start already because you know there is gold there.
Good luck and get a jar full mate. :D

Pro dude said:
Gday Garnet,
The whole area was extensively mined by digging into both shallow and deep leeds.
Most of the gold that made its way into the creeks in the areas was shed from these ancient river beds.
You have a head start already because you know there is gold there.
Good luck and get a jar full mate. :D

I know eh! I just can't believe how lucky i was to find someone who knows for a fact his property has gold on it and couldn't care less... When i asked him how much of a cut he wanted he laughed and said mate if you find a million dollars worth you can shout me a beer lol

I reckon if i found THAT much id buy him the whole pub lol.
Not actually sure c&l, i have yet to go out there, he has been shearing the last few weeks and as an ex roustabout i know how hectic that can be so been waiting till he has a little spare time to show me around the property and where the spot is

Sounds like a potential gold mine mate. Have a read of Loamers post on reading the land so you go in with a clear head. Dont want the fever to cloud your vision :/ What a great opportunity you have just be methodical and persistent. Dig every target. It would be good if you could post some pics of ancient creek so we can see what to look for..
Good luck with it mate

I think any forum member would be as excited as yo are at the opportunity, man I hope it works out in a good way for you.

Cheers Tone

TenOunce Tone said:
Sounds like a potential gold mine mate. Have a read of Loamers post on reading the land so you go in with a clear head. Dont want the fever to cloud your vision :/ What a great opportunity you have just be methodical and persistent. Dig every target. It would be good if you could post some pics of ancient creek so we can see what to look for..
Good luck with it mate

I think any forum member would be as excited as yo are at the opportunity, man I hope it works out in a good way for you.

Cheers Tone
Whilst i have read loamers posts like 20 times each i think I'll be printing out copies to take with me, the fever has clouded my judgement more then once ;)

i hadn't thought of posting any pics, that's actually a great idea and something i will definitely be doing!

Can't wait to get up there :D

Gday garnet,
I have done abit of work on elevated terraces before. They are exactly the same as what you will be working on. You will find either a layer starting with smaller rounded wash sitting apon larger stones,which will either be imbedded in clay or resting on a sheet of clay just above the bedrock.
There also could be multiple false bottoms,that could be indicated by a band of clay that contains river wash. Usually just below this layer will be a different colour,and contain no river pebbles,only changing as you get closer to the bottom of each layer.
If you find a layer of bigger rocks( say billy boulder size and upwards towards 100kg) you have hit the jackpot.
Take a strong crowbar to lever out these rocks. The gold is normally deposited between and just underneath the bigger rocks on true bottom.
I once removed 15 tonnes by hand chasing an ancient river bed. Bloody hard work I can tell you mate,especially removing the 4ft of overburden that covered the wash layer.
A mate and myself dug,spread and detected close to 14 ounces,but its something I will never forget. Every target was gold.
I wish you well mate :D

I forgot to mention mate.....
You will need a serious Pick,good shovel,a wheelbarrow,Heavy Crowbar and a strong back.
Stack the removed wash in 1 pile for overburden and rocks,and the other pile of clay from around the gold layer (so you can puddle it and run it through a sluice later).
If you do well,look at pegging a lease there and rip into it with a big Yellow Detector ;)

Wow thanks for the info mate, couldn't have asked for better advice, you my friend are a legend!

I am currently reading a book on loan from a mate that was mining for gold near Dunolly in 1980s. He has found a lot of gold and highly recommended this book.
It says in there that sometimes they sank holes up to 16 feet deep. Don't stop to short. Keep digging until you hit the bed rock. Good luck mate and let us know how you go.

Latest posts