So Sad..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How much garbage gets dumped on what are an important part of an areas history... went for a drive come snoop around the back of Smythesdale Vic... man the amount of rubbish people flytip all over the historical diggings, and it seems the same in other places too. :(

Yep, makes you wonder what the state of their houses are in ColinD. Those same cretins would probably flip out if you dumped rubbish on their front lawn.

This is one reason why that some of the Sub-branches of the PMAV have a thing called "Clean up your Parks Day" We team it up with Parks Vic and the local Ranger to select an area that they would liked clean up and we meet at that area with trailers, rubbish bags, rakes ect. We do this once a year at about this time. The Central Branch is having theirs on the 21st Nov. It only takes a few hours out of your day. Then our Park Ranger puts on a BBQ for the guys & gals. The areas that we mainly clean up is a goldfield area. All the rubbish is then dumped at the local tip. So if you guys would like to join us here is your chance. " Clean Up Your Parks Day"
wombat ;)

I have been to quite a number of copper mines in South Australia and it's amazing how much rubbish has been dumped in mine holes or just around the mine area in general. Very sad to see!

Another thing I hate is seeing graffiti on old mining building ruins like large hand made rock buildings, very sad to see :mad:

ColinD said:
How much garbage gets dumped on what are an important part of an areas history... went for a drive come snoop around the back of Smythesdale Vic... man the amount of rubbish people flytip all over the historical diggings, and it seems the same in other places too. :(

Been out & had a look around Smythesdale myself a few times, (used to live there), seen a couple of places with rubbish dumped, both in mine shafts & thrown around on the ground, some people are just pathetic, they don't care, would rather spend the money on a slab of grog or something instead of caring for the country & disposing of rubbish correctly.

I live in Snake Valley/Smythesdale so I'm in the forest every day either walking the dog or detecting, you see the forest from our front deck. There is a tip in Snake Valley but they charge money to dump stuff, if they made that free then people might make the effort, but there is garbage dumped in the forest about once every other month... by that I mean a trailer load of household cr@p or animal remains. The local school kids did a project on it this year, took photos and had an exhibition with the prints.

Mods Note - specific location edited out

You've hit the nail on the head Colin. If dumps weren't run for profit people would use them.
We live in a civilized country we all pay taxes and rates. dumps should be ran at cost by government to keep Australia beautiful.

Pegleg said:
You've hit the nail on the head Colin. If dumps weren't run for profit people would use them.
We live in a civilized country we all pay taxes and rates. dumps should be ran at cost by government to keep Australia beautiful.

It is very sad that anyone would defile the environment just to save a few dollars. Nobody likes paying tip fees but to just dump your s--t in the bush says a lot about the type of people there are around.

Scum bags gonna scum bag Magilla. I don't agree with people dumping there crap in the bush but I think less of the people turning a profit on our need to remove waste in a sustainable manner.
Save a few cents on your rates for a council run tip for free or spend a few hundred on clean up every year?

Yeah everytime me n my wife go somewhere to camp-fish-pan etc it seems our first hour or 2 is spent cleaning up from other ppl it shites me not that i have to do it but yet them same ppl are the first to whinge when they see other ppl doing it how *%^* hard is it to put it in a bag n take it with you pull into petrol station nput in bin ????!!! Simple

The local dumps in Scotland are free, but no commercial vehicles, and the thing is they probably do turn a profit because people dump some good stuff. Heaps of electrical stuff in perfect working order, people just don't want it anymore, then there is the scrap metal aspect... there are whole, albeit mangled iron water tanks in the forest, it's all $$'s worth of stuff some times. The tip could get a good chunk of it's costs back I'll bet. The Scottish ones donate free to charities that help families in need that might need a good 2nd hand fridge or whatever too.

Some councils just go overboard on tip charges, one small town I lived in with around 2500-3000 ppl use to charge $40 for a ute or 6x4 trailer load, more if it was piled up too high, they also used to collect all scrap metal to sell to recyclers.
Some councils are just too greedy but its no reason to be dumping rubbish in the bush, thats just disrespectful to everyone.

Our council here in Maryborough Vic. hand out 8 free tip vouches each year with our rate notices. But we still get that bum sh!t that has to bump rubbish in the bush. But I've got to admit that we pay for the free vouchers in-directly by the very high rates we pay here.
wombat ;)

Albuy council used to have a recycle depot at the tip, they closed it because it was to dangerous for the recycle people to pick through the rubbish while people were dumping stuff. They now winge about halveing the garbage coming into the tip. Costs a fortune to dump stuff too. The recycle depot was great for finding parts and always had people looking around.
Cheers LL

One of the main dumping causes here are tip costs. $60 for a 6x4 trailor and its $80 if you over by 1"..!!! I'd rather people dump it at the tip gates so then its at least forcefully cleaned up. We too lost our local recylce plant so no more can we cash in cans close by and bottles etc.

If Melbourne wants clean water..they need to fix the issues out here in the country at the start of the yarra... not rubbish catching nets that cost $$$$$??? that are all the way down in southbank.

This is what I don't get. The cages need to be maintained and cleaned everyday..so lots of money involved there.. it would cost less than those cages to fix the rubbish issues out here. It seems intentional to be wasting money this way.

I've seen a lot of money get wasted in the past 5 years for things that either look ugly or not even used and ruined now.

Latest posts