So I was informed today that I will be made redundant "soon".

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ugh. Small rant time. Title says it all. I work (for now at least) for a prominent Australian charity as a donation attendant (where people come and donate clothing and household items etc). Was causually told today that I will be made redundant soon.

Apparently the land where we were located (in a large shopping centre car park) came with caveats from when it was originally purchased (not sure when that was but was at least a decade). Im not sure exactly what those caveats are but apparently the donation centre ran afoul of one of them. A member of the public complained and so the council is kicking us out.

Management said they have known "for ages", but didnt want to inform us because they were trying/hoping they could find another location, but cant as it turns out. This has me pretty annoyed. This isn't fun and games. I survive by this job. Its serious. I feel like we should have been informed immediately. I mean, how is it bad to say "maybe in 3-6 months we will have to close down and you may be made redundant, but we're trying to find another location, no guarantees though"? Its better than "hey, you've got 1 month then your out of here" (even though I wasnt even given a timeframe...just a "soon". What is soon?).

So yeah don't know exactly where Im going to go from here. Considering going elsewhere, possibly interstate. I dont know. But there's not a lot keeping me here now so may as well at least consider things. The world is my oyster (if you want to get all cliche about it...and I do haha).

Feel for you POG, I hate when business managers arent upfront about things like this. They were gambling with your livelihoods and didnt say a word.
Hope something good comes out of your situation.

Regards,
TGW.

Thanks to everyone for the support :)

Im not too down about it. Im usually pretty good at rolling with the punches life throws, so to speak. Just annoyed that they knew for so long yet said nothing, and then the casual way that I was informed. Oh well. Its a new day and Ive already moved on. Im excited to see what the future holds now. Watch this space :)

Sorry to hear that, I really hope it all turns out good for you.

Latest posts