Sniffer dog

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure this is the right place to put this question........Is it possible to train a dog to sniff out gold or gems etc . They can now sniff out certain diseases ,drugs ,and many different substances .Does gold have a oder that a dog can detect . Good part the hound could dig it for u .

I don't know if gold has an odour as such but the ground in a lot of goldfields does have a unique smell IMO. I reckon you could train a hound to sniff possible gold bearing ground out?
Also when I lick the rocks they taste different too :lol:

Yeah I've noticed that gold bearing ground odour too, same with sapphire country up at Inverell, the ground has a certain ashy odour to it, I'm assuming it's the grey volcanic ash or the decomposing diorite and other rocks.

I have sniffed a nugget and think i can smell something .Certainly smells different than steel or aluminium and lead .(only ones i have sniffed ) .even if u trained a dog to ignore these smells it would have to assist u to what u dig or ignor .(If the dog ignores it u dont dig .If dog interested dig . Or other way round)

Think it would have been done by now if it were possible... Lmao....Sniff out gold bearing ground.......would be just about the whole state of Victoria. :lol:

Sorry I'd forgotten the gold detecting world revolves around Victoria & every inch of the state was gold bearing :rolleyes: :D
It has been done! IMO it could help to find virgin ground but it would be a bit hit & miss, like other methods. It might be a long process too. By the time you trained the dog it might take a year or so? As per below you need something associated with the metal your looking for so the dog can sniff it out like sulphides or arsenian pyrite.
http://www.mining-technology.com/features/featureore-sniffing-dogs-for-mine-location/

Hey old fred....Dog will definitely be able to sniff minralized ground....For sure...But will not be able to sniff a nugget...... :D

mbasko said:
Sorry I'd forgotten the gold detecting world revolves around Victoria & every inch of the state was gold bearing :rolleyes: :D
It has been done! IMO it could help to find virgin ground but it would be a bit hit & miss, like other methods. It might be a long process too. By the time you trained the dog it might take a year or so? As per below you need something associated with the metal your looking for so the dog can sniff it out like sulphides or arsenian pyrite.
http://www.mining-technology.com/features/featureore-sniffing-dogs-for-mine-location/
Would be good for somewhere like SE qld...where gold occurrences are minimal...and hard to find....Cant Imagine a dog would work to well in places like WA ...Or Victoria..North Qld...ect.....Just because the ground is minralized dont meen there be gold in them there hills.. :D ;)

Smoky Bandit said:
Just because the ground is minralized dont meen there be gold in them there hills.. big_smile wink
Maybe or maybe not. If the ground contains mineralisation or elements that are associated with gold, or other metals/minerals/gems etc., then it is time to test. Some ground will contain gold - some won't. That's exploration/prospecting. If you don't try to find virgin ground then you won't & that's regardless of state. I don't see why this method would be any less effective in one state over another but could see how it may not be effective in areas where the required "sniff" elements aren't present!
It's just another method to help identify possible areas. Without exploration & the use of various methods to prospect then new deposits would never be found.

True ....but i wouldnt go to all the trouble of training a dog to find minralized ground...When you could find an area just as quick...Just use your detector...if theres gold there.... your machine will find the nugget long before any dog will :D :lol:

Would depend on the training methods employed, most dogs are more intersted in sniffing under tails, eating, and barking all night in my neck of the woods, definately need a better breed than a Turner for a job like this one ! :lol:

He's nearly 8 yrs old now and starting to slow down a bit-a beautifully natured dog and we love him very much. His sniffing and hearing is his most functional feature. He can hear the postie 2 blocks away-and i still don't understand why he wags his tail madly whilst barking his bloody head off--will miss him when he passes--still a few years away.
We didn't pick him he walked across from the litter of 8 pups and sat down and wanted to go home. Shit I'm getting a bit teary thinking about that day--Cheers..... :p

Probably a big nugget underground in your back yard driving him crazy trying to tell you about it. (ha). :lol:

Latest posts