Snake sightings, encounters and reminders.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posted elsewhere on here

Got told years ago by an old bloke.. he killed a brown snake and all of a sudden they were everywhere around him.... must of killed the mother snake.... he was off.... I'd never thought of cluthches of snakes livin together like that before then(they were all full grown too he said).

Silver

One of our dogs got bitten on the 5th Nov. it was a cool day too. Mr Pot was walking the two dogs around our old town cemetery having a chat to the dead folk when Coco, who was on a short lead pounced on a snake warming itself between two graves. Mr Pot didnt even see it, just Coco pouncing and pulling back with a five foot brown (he thought) she was thrashing it side to side. It all happened in a split second. She survived. The snake got away too. It was an hour before he got her to the vet, because he was 2kms from the car and half an hour from the vet. Two lots of different anti venom and two nights in doggy hospital. Horrible time for us all here. Then the other day he takes them walking out bush and our other girl goes trotting down to a dam for a drink and does a huge sideways leap, as Mr Pot see a snake shoot off across the dam to the other side. Bloody lucky that time. We get them in our back yard every couple of years. Nerve wracking when we have a weatherboard home that they can easily get under there. Sheesh, theyre about for sure. Thankfully have never seen more than one a time. Touch wood. :pickshovel:

Out detecting Ive not seen any snakes, but Mr Pot has :8

I own a 85 acre farm in the Adelaide hills and yes I do have several families of snakes living on the farm, Up at my shed one day I saw that 2+ metre eastern brown snake in my shed and I reckon it was catching the mice in the shed. I walked slowly back out of the shed and went around and opened the sliding door on the other side of the shed, now as soon as I opened the door the snake came out and brushed my foot as it went past. I took that as a thank you so I cut a hole in the wall sheet so it can come and go as it pleases.

Now when I open the door to go in the shed sometimes I do hear a noise and that is the snake making an exit so we have a good understanding and it does keep the mice down in my shed.

Out oat my back dam at the back of the farm is a family of black snakes and there is one huge one there that I have only seen a couple of times but every year I find the skin it shed and no joke it is 4 of my paces long. Oneday I went out with my tractor and in the trailer was a 1,000 litre shutz, now I use my Honda fire fighting pump and I have a 1-1/2" pipe setup with a foor valve to get the water. It is asimple case of priming the pump as I leave a bit of water in the shutz to prime it.

Oneday when I was getting water there was a black snake with it's head under a cow pat and didn't move at all when I walked up. So I just setup the pump which hammered the ground and the snake never moved. Now when I went back to get a second load the snake was gone and when I got off the tractor I heard a noise in the reeds suggesting the snakes know I'm back. Now when I go out to that dam I always walk about a metre away from the reeds and I do hear the snakes moving about, they do see I'm not a threat so just stay in the reeds.

In all the time we have had the fram I have only killed one snake and that was a very young brown snake that went me as I walked upto my shed, I simply cut it in half with my fencing shovel and the ants took care of the rest.

One rule to follow with snakes if you see one freeze to show you are NOT a threat, if the snake rears up slowly walk backwards and if decides to go you run like hell and leave everything behind. Come back a bit later the snake will be gone and pick up your stuff. Now if you a red bellied Black don't follow that rule and just run as they are nastie bastards and will chase you just for the fun.

We have some of the most venomous snakes in the world and I found they are the smartest snakes, don't show your a threat and they won't go you.

Now when I walked in my shed today I did hear a good noise so I reckon I surprised the snake and my dog Ruff who is a pure bred kelpie was out there barking which said a snake just went past. This eastern brown would be huge now as the last time I saw it was about 5 years ago and it was a good 3 metres then.

Cheers Bryan

I generally have a brown or two under my front verandah and a tiger every now and again outside my back laundry door.
My daughter picked one up in a pile of weeds in our garden last year, but no issue other than a fright.
My kelpie bitch will growl when she sees them, but not approach.
I've seen tigers in the Yarra (whilst walking the mutts) and the Ovens (whilst inner tubing).
Accidentally ran over one on my driveway a few years back - had to accelerate though ;)
Out bush, I'll leave them alone - just not at home with my kids and dogs.
That said, in my 10 years of detecting though, I've never seen one out bush
Even though I've got good gaiters, I never use them.............

Back when I was a kid we did this bloody long school hike up in the hills above Licola, there is no road access, it just a walking track. That area is pretty dry, but there is a small stream that runs in this valley, bugger me if you didn't see 10 in a day if you were first in the line.
Never seen anything like that ever again, most was one at a time.
Still never seen one in the GT.

Have seen four snakes over two detecting trips recently, two Tiger snakes and two Lowland Copperheads. The main reason why I keep seeing them is that I have been detecting close to swampy areas which are the usual habitat for such snake. The two copperheads were pretty sleepy sunning themselves out in the open, whilst the Tigers were on the move - one of which decided to seek shelter under my car. :argh:

Tiger snake
1606552022_snake1.jpg

Copperhead
1606552051_snake2.jpg

As crazy as this sounds, myself and a couple of mates used to hunt them because we wanted their skins and were gunna tan them.
Which we never did
This was back in the early 70s in Mt Beauty in the high country Victoria.
We used to scour the rivers looking for them.
Nearly got bitten a few times.
In the alpine areas snakes are very prolific around the creeks and rivers so we had no trouble finding them.
Sometimes wed see up to 2 dozen in a day out.
And l can tell you that the favourite food of a snake is a frog or a lizard.
I did see a tiger one morning on a frosty ground with a half grown rabbit halfway down its throat.
It must have caught it the night before and spent all night trying to swallow the bugger

Teemore said:
OK, noticed this Victorian FB post from a responsible/reliable bloke ........ initial thought was to call it as Bull :poop: but karma being what it is I'd probably get bitten next time out so thought it safer to check with with the good PA community.

Now I've rarely seen snakes out detecting .... exceptions were panning/sluicing on creeks when I came across a Red/yellow bellied black on 2 occasions. being shy they hid their heads in rocks and probably thought they were invisible.

So, how often have you spotted a snake and more importantly what's the greatest number you've come across on one outing/day.

Cheers T.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1375/1606530924_120d61c3-9b92-4866-97d5-327c6a9d35fd_1_201_a.jpg

I have seen what I thought was a black snake except it had a yellow belly , after googling a few pics I think it was more likely a dark eastern brown with yellow belly.

In other parts of the country it could be a green belly green tree snake but there is no such thing as a black snake with yellow belly.

Eastern browns can sometimes be so dark they are easily mistaken for a RBB

I didnt realise brown snakes could have such diverse colouring but they do , maybe its a fashion thing , I mean we had rock n roll , punk rock and disco so you cant blame snakes for a bit of cross breeding on their swingin party nights.

RuddyCrazy said:
I own a 85 acre farm in the Adelaide hills and yes I do have several families of snakes living on the farm, Up at my shed one day I saw that 2+ metre eastern brown snake in my shed and I reckon it was catching the mice in the shed. I walked slowly back out of the shed and went around and opened the sliding door on the other side of the shed, now as soon as I opened the door the snake came out and brushed my foot as it went past. I took that as a thank you so I cut a hole in the wall sheet so it can come and go as it pleases.

Now when I open the door to go in the shed sometimes I do hear a noise and that is the snake making an exit so we have a good understanding and it does keep the mice down in my shed.

Out oat my back dam at the back of the farm is a family of black snakes and there is one huge one there that I have only seen a couple of times but every year I find the skin it shed and no joke it is 4 of my paces long. Oneday I went out with my tractor and in the trailer was a 1,000 litre shutz, now I use my Honda fire fighting pump and I have a 1-1/2" pipe setup with a foor valve to get the water. It is asimple case of priming the pump as I leave a bit of water in the shutz to prime it.

Oneday when I was getting water there was a black snake with it's head under a cow pat and didn't move at all when I walked up. So I just setup the pump which hammered the ground and the snake never moved. Now when I went back to get a second load the snake was gone and when I got off the tractor I heard a noise in the reeds suggesting the snakes know I'm back. Now when I go out to that dam I always walk about a metre away from the reeds and I do hear the snakes moving about, they do see I'm not a threat so just stay in the reeds.

In all the time we have had the fram I have only killed one snake and that was a very young brown snake that went me as I walked upto my shed, I simply cut it in half with my fencing shovel and the ants took care of the rest.

One rule to follow with snakes if you see one freeze to show you are NOT a threat, if the snake rears up slowly walk backwards and if decides to go you run like hell and leave everything behind. Come back a bit later the snake will be gone and pick up your stuff. Now if you a red bellied Black don't follow that rule and just run as they are nastie bastards and will chase you just for the fun.

We have some of the most venomous snakes in the world and I found they are the smartest snakes, don't show your a threat and they won't go you.

Now when I walked in my shed today I did hear a good noise so I reckon I surprised the snake and my dog Ruff who is a pure bred kelpie was out there barking which said a snake just went past. This eastern brown would be huge now as the last time I saw it was about 5 years ago and it was a good 3 metres then.

Cheers Bryan

the above shows you have a good connection with animals and a good attitude to them , except i have never seen RBB to be aggressive ?

Are you sure it was a red belly ?

ps . i have never killed any snake ~

CreviceSucker said:
I have seen what I thought was a black snake except it had a yellow belly , after googling a few pics I think it was more likely a dark eastern brown with yellow belly.
In other parts of the country it could be a green belly green tree snake but there is no such thing as a black snake with yellow belly.
Eastern browns can sometimes be so dark they are easily mistaken for a RBB

Hey, I'm definitely not a snake expert .... just that these blacks are usually locally just called red bellied black or yellow bellied black ...... actually have no idea what their belly colour was, just that unlike browns which can be very aggressive when disturbed these are "almost" timid by comparison.

Most of the snakes I've seen around have been Red Belly's.
Never seen an aggressive one. They usually bolt pretty quick.
The little one I seen recently at work only had one interest - getting away from us.
Even when being put into the snake bag it never even reared up or flattened out.

Browns/Taipans/Tigers usually get tagged with the "snake chased me" one

Latest posts