Smelt the whole show

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there is any moisture on or in the rock, they could explode if heated rapidly.
Besides this little tid bit, i have know idea.

That's true under many conditions. The material would have to be small particles and well dried, and probably brought up to heat slowly.
Certainly not a good idea to put that hot stuff up one's nose either. ;p

ROFL!!! Thanks!

OK, I won't try smelting the whole show, or any of that other stuff you mentioned :) Sounds like good fun though, but expensive.

Bluddy amazing the stuff a bloke can learn here!

If we ever meet up I'll tell you a couple of spectacular f'ups I've made.

So I guess it's back to getting the bugs out of my newly made Miller table. I'm also almost finished a blue bowl too (been working on that during delays on the Miller), so I'll be getting bugs out of that soon too.

Cheers, and thanks for a good laugh and a good lesson about why I shouldn't go overboard with the smelting idea.

Cheers mate, and thanks again :) More really invaluable info!

I got my crucible in the mail this morning! I've stuck the box in a plastic bag and put it on a shelf for the time being.

The Miller table is coming along, but I've had some hiccups on the way.
Two main issues are drilling holes without burrs in the polypipe spray bar and getting the rubber (conveyor belt rubber) to lay flat on the glass bed. If anyone wants real rubber sheeting I can get it really cheaply!

Think I've got the holes in the spraybar sorted, but I had to try different drills (1mm, 2mm, 3mm) a few times. Also tried sticking a bit of wire into a soldering iron to melt the holes (not accurate method at all), but the drilling seems OK now. There are still burrs on the inside of the 1" pipe, but the holes all seem to squirt (slowly) pretty evenly. Ordered a speed controller for the 1100 gal. bilge pump last night for fine tuning later. At the moment a plastic ball valve will have to do.

I think I almost have the rubber sorted too. Yesterday was pretty warm up here, so I put the rubber on the glass and left it in the sun all day with a couple of bits of wood across it. I moved the wood around every couple of hours. It got a lot better, but still didn't sit flat, so I went and spent a bit for a can of spray adhesive from Lincraft. Chic there had very nice upper shelf assets, so I kept asking her silly questions. :) :) :)

After drilling a good spraybar and testing it, I installed it on the table and tested again. BUGGER! When the water cooled the rubber it lifted just a fraction! I reckon I didn't use enough glue under the rubber, so will sort that in the morning. Will use thinners to clean the surfaces and give the glue a fighting chance this time.

Latest posts