Sluicy GS21 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been thinking about upgrading my highbanker to one of these but I'm in two minds as if i really need too . Has anybody used or seen one of these in the field? Is the "turbulence" created in the hopper really going to be a massive difference compared to a set of spraybars?. Any help will be appreciated ,

Regards PicknShovels :)

Hi Ben I cant say I have ever used 1 or seen any of the sluicy sluices in action but as far as the GS21 goes I can tell you that it was designed originally with rubber matting for areas like Eldorado that I have spoke about b4 on the site but I now see they are selling them with miners moss instead possibly because the expanded mesh is more suited and catches more gold in other areas say like Creswick or Rushworth or similar ground that is not a creek bed, as for the top hopper being better than the standard spray bar set I would say defiantly yes as your rocks don't ever get a proper wash with spray bars unless you physically wash them with your hand or your shovel with the Gs21 it keeps the material in the back of the hopper in a tubular wave action and is constantly washing the gold from the rocks and releases material at a more steady rate so all the gold is recovered not just what your spray bars will wash off the rocks in the short time they get to wash them...

1453499217_new_highbanker_design.jpg

And as I am aware the same person who designed it for them is the same person whom helped me piece and weld my Crevecing sucker pump together with me and build my rock crusher design :lol: honestly he pretty much done most of it so I know even without trying the gs21 that it would be my number 1 choice as I have heard the design works great and the gold recovery is greatly increased...

1453499699_greencheeks_gold_nugget_recovery_unit_2.jpg

;) greencheeks

How is the sucker coming along greencheeks? Any closer to pumping a few off the production line?

y4k said:
How is the sucker coming along greencheeks? Any closer to pumping a few off the production line?

As much as I was hoping Santa would bring me a plastic welder he didn't show up with the goods ;) Though I am still very much as keen as before it just seems each time I get close it something else takes priority .. A smart man would of bought a plastic welder for the wife or kids for Christmas but the repercussions well we all know how that would go ;)

Yeah Santa was in poor form last yr, wanted an sdc, would have settled for an aldy's...but nothing. Im hearing ya about the other half, that would probably go down about as well as buying her an iron or something but ive found kids can be easily manipulated and will do almost anything for money...a small bribe to get them to say a plastic welder is what they have always wanted and then u have the angle of u were just trying to keep them happy and couldnt have handled the disappointment in their eyes when they didnt receive one. Mind u they also have short memories so u are just as likely to hand over the cash and get left high and dry when the time for explanations comes around. Safer play may be to wait

:lol: y4k I will have to keep that angle in mind and considering 2 of our children bought hot glue guns last year for their arts and craft its highly likely that I could pull that off ;) I even thought about selling my TDI to start up but I thought better off it. The waiting game sounds like my best option as some say, if its meant to be then it will happen. Greencheeks

PicknShovels said:
Been thinking about upgrading my highbanker to one of these but I'm in two minds as if i really need too . Has anybody used or seen one of these in the field? Is the "turbulence" created in the hopper really going to be a massive difference compared to a set of spraybars?. Any help will be appreciated ,

Regards PicknShovels :)

There is a vid of it working online. I was wondering how long it would last as those rocks keep tumbling around and there is no mention of wear parts for it. I saw a vid of a Canadian guy I think who used the same concept but a deeper square box to blast the water back up the top and I guess take the larger material with it to be reprocessed. Seemed to work for him in a clay area so maybe trial pushing water back up into your wash box rather than spray bars with your current kit (or try both).
Jon

Hi guys was wondering if anyone knew much about the gs21?, or sluicy in general. I'm not sure what size plumbing fittings it has as there is not much info on the cw supplies website and I gave them a call but the person I spoke to didn't have much info, would a aussie pumps 2.5hp 210L per minute be enough water flow for it?, or would i be better off getting the 5.5hp 450L a minute and run it on idle? Also hoses and fittings, I can't remember the thread but someone suggested braided lay flat hose rather than regular lay flat because it is a bit stonger and more durable.If all goes to plan I hope to have one for the tuena meet up but not sure yet if it would be the right choice for my first high banker. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance :)

Hi Smaug

I have a Sluicy GS17, and have found it works very well, with a RATO 40mm 4 stroke pump. As I understand it the GS21 is a wider sluice.

There are a number of threads on these highbankers, and this one might be a good start:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11698

However, I think it is a good idea to get used to your sluice and pump combination with a number of different kinds of wash before modifying it.

I'm looking at replacing the carpet with moss, and to install a removable tray in the drop zone and a slick plate below that.

Regards

Doc.

I forgot to say, you can ask the builder questions via his facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/Sluicy-gold-equipment-Australia-719031588170817/

Im not too sure about gs21 but my gs16 has 1" outlet. From my research they are great sluices and im real happy with the quality of mine (havent had a chance to use yet). I just had a quick look and theyre recommending 3-6hp for gs21, im no expert on physics but you will really be hammering a 2.5 to get even half the required flow rate, best off getting something mid to high in that range and like you said run on idle. As for the service sure it wasnt telstra you called? Ive always found CWP to have great customer service (after sales service included) im surprised they "didnt have much info" the bloke i talked to was really helpfull during my buying process i had the same questions as yourself and all we're answered by them including fittings and pipes ect (i ended up just getting normal layflat). Most pump sellers (rato, thornado ect) i found will make a kit for you to take out all the guess work out of pipes and fitting also i personally went with Rato but they're pretty much all the same unless you have heaps of cash then buy a honda. I have no affiliation with CWP, although i have a paypal account if they want to pm me ;)

Thanks guys DrDuck some good reading there :) and crumpy it wasn't that he wasn't nice or helpful he was but i was hoping for a L per minute but he wasn't sure about that but the plumbing he went and measured one while i was on the phone so maybe i was a little harsh about cw supplies( my pick should be here soon) and they have been very helpful in the past. Thanks again guys :)

Ah fair enough mate good to hear they were helpfull for you then :) try giving rato, or thornado a call they'll definitely know alot about the right fit out in terms of fittings,pipes and pump for your particular sluice and deal with prospectors all the time. I knew (and still dont know) that much when i was shopping around for all that stuff (nor could i be bothered sourcing and buying full lengths of pipes and layflat) hence why i just took a package with everything cut to size already, the camlock fittings in my opinion are worth the extra dollars they look heaps easier to fit up! :) :)

so i just read everything i could on this model and basically says 5hp on idle or 3hp 3/4 throttle with 1 1/2 fittings, mind you this was on fb and i didn't read all the comments before, Wal bANKER :) need to read stuff more carefully i think but thanks again for your input guys :)

The way I see it if you get a 5 hp pump it will not be long before your looking for a lighter pump. You need a working range from a water supply from 10 and up to 80 meters. The pumps below are very good at what they do and would be well worth your while to check them out.

Rato 1-1/2 40mm pump

98cc 4 stroke OHV
3 HP@3600 rpm, 3.2 Nm@2500 rpm
233 LPM max. delivery
16 m max delivery head. 6 m Suction head
2 Litre petrol tank
Transistorised ignition
Recoil pull start
Cast Iron cylinder liner
37 x 42 x 40 cm (L x W x H) 12.5kg
Model RT40ZB20-1.1Q Dry Weight 12.5 kg

1460766703_1405651159_rt40zb_lh_front_small.jpg

$229

http://www.ratovic.com.au/#!water-pumps/c1xri

The gutsy GENQUIP 2.5 hp 4-stroke engine

Model Type AM35H
Suction port diameter 35mm (1.5 inch)
Discharge port diametet 35mm (1.5 inch)
Total Head 29m
Maximum Flow Rate 200 L/min
Maximum Suction Head 4m
Engine
Engine type AM152
Maximum Output 2.5Hp
Displacement 97.7cc
Speed 3600rpm
Cooling system Forced air cooling
Ignition Transistorized pointless
Shaft Rotation Counterclockwise
Dimensions L x W x H 360x300x385mm
Dry Weight 12kg

1460766763_petrol-pump-small.jpg

$299

http://www.genquip.com.au/water-pumps/petrol-transfer-pumps/

Honda Wx 15 Pumps offer a level of uncompromising performance to a wide variety of water transfer applications . Designed for easy starting, priming and dependable service, used throughout the world for over 20 years, Honda Water Pumps have earned a reputation for unsurpassed reliability and performance.

A compact 1.5 Volume Pump with a capacity of 240litres per minute and a 40m head.

N.B Honda Volume Pumps are able to handle large volumes of clean water, making them ideal for irrigation, drainage, general purpose cleaning etc.
Specifications:

Engine GXH50 4 Stroke OHV
Total Head 40m
Suction Head 8m
Suction Port Diameter 40mm (1.5 Inch)
Discharge Port Diameter 40mm (1.5 Inch)
Capacity - 240 Litres/min
Displacement - 49.4cc
Maximum Output 2.5HP
Recommended Fuel Unleaded
Fuel Tank Capacity 1.2 Litres
Dimensions 330mm x 270mm x 375mm (LxWxH)
Dry Weight 10kg

1460766795_wx15__01213.1439537795.600.600.jpg

$869

http://shop.sydneycitymotorcycles.com.au/p/598402/honda-wx15-pump.html

You can also check out the Aussie pump Model QP-105sx QP- 154sx.

http://www.aussiepumps.com.au/

Then there is the Oleo-Mac water pumps which are very good also.

http://www.oleo-mac.co.uk/Livello.jsp?idMarchio=1&idFamiglia=76

I have a GS20 and it has a 1.5" fitting

If you aren't sure message Sluicy on Facebook and they should reply by the end of the day. They are fantastic and willing to go the extra mile to make customers happy.

I bought my Sluicy GS20 from central west prospecting supplies, we drove there from Sydney took us about 3 1/2 hours but make sure if you do drive there that the gentleman who knows all the stuff about them is working or they can't tell you a whole lot.

I got 20m of 2" fire hose lay flat off eBay was a bit of a bugger getting the camlocks to fit once I removed the fittings that come with the hose but I ended up using a whole lotta morning fresh and my mate gave me a hand and we got them on. A lot cheaper then normal lay flat and a lot stronger with 25bar fail rating.

I also use a larger pump that runs at lower rpm the pump is overkill but I got it at such a good price with less than an hour on it because they wanted something that produced pressure, so I ended up with a 7.5hp 3 inch trash pump and used reducers from the outlet side 3-2 inch then 2-1.5 from the other end to the spray bars.

I'd ask whether they have wear plates as I'd think the curved bit would wear out a lot quicker than the slick plate.

Jon

I have a Gs17 and use a 3hp El cheapo Ebay special pump on it. Cost me $170 delivered. I use a 1.5" system with blue lay flat. I bought all my hose fittings from Thornado. I use a 5mtr pick-up hose with a foot valve and 15mtrs of lay flat. Works well for me with the pump running about a quarter throttle. Good luck and see you at Tuena! :)

Latest posts