Singapore Ants

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody got any tips for dealing with these followers of satan?

Two years ago they went through the telephone line, two a/c units, and one light switch. Last year was quiet Now they are back chomping their way into every packet in the cupboard. Costing a fortune in Mortein and lost food.

And they love to bite and it hurts!

Give them poison, something like ant rid where they take it back to their nests and feed the rest of the colonies.

We have guys come out biannually to supply ant baits. Not interested. EDIT: The ants aren't.

Get a local pest controller around and ask for a termidor spray.
The active is fipronil, it's non repellant, meaning they have no idea they are walking on it.
It's an exterior spray that you treat around the house to create a barrier, BUT don't do any digging/messing with the barrier once it's laid down.
There are fipronil sands they may use in garden beds etc too.

Nothing you can buy in the shops will fix it, a licence is required for the good stuff.
Once dry it is harmless to humans.
Pretty pricey I'm afraid, small house would be $300

BTW I would get a different pest controller, baiting alone wont fix that.

Sandta said:
Ive never heard of them
They sound pretty bad :awful:
Where do you live?

They're a pig of a thing. They love electrics including the car wiring. Electricians love them, they can be in replacing a part because of ant damage and be back the following week doing the same job again for the same reason. And there bite is pretty painful lasting for days. In the Torres Strait.

Thanks OP. I'll have a chat - again - to the pest controller, he's a government contractor as the building is government rented.

They do some sort of outside spray but only a patch here and a patch there.

I think the price would probably be substantially more for me to get one privately as they would be substantial travel time. Possibly flights from Cairns.

The one that comes bi annually is due again in January so I'll see what happens then. Thanks :Y:

Mr Magoo said:
Anybody got any tips for dealing with these followers of satan?

Two years ago they went through the telephone line, two a/c units, and one light switch. Last year was quiet Now they are back chomping their way into every packet in the cupboard. Costing a fortune in Mortein and lost food.

And they love to bite and it hurts!

If ya house is on stumps, paint them with a few heavy coats of Diesel and put some on the ground all the way round the the base of the stumps, they don't like it and nor do white ants. If you can get it add some creosote to it, if not sump oil works well and stops it drying out.

hope that helps.

aussiefarmer said:
If you can follow them to a nest/hole get ant sand in a shaker pot funnings or magnafart sell it :Y: works great on all ant like creatures

You'll find the ones at the shops only have something like permetherin of perhaps bifenthrin, something that wont knock out the colony unfortunately.
They multiply at such a rate even killing 5000 is a drop in the ocean to a colony.
You may as well chuck confetti at them. Seriously don't throw your money away buying this it just wont work.

Go to the local farmers supply shop and they will sell you something to fix them, just be careful where you spray it.

Occasional_panner said:
aussiefarmer said:
If you can follow them to a nest/hole get ant sand in a shaker pot funnings or magnafart sell it :Y: works great on all ant like creatures

You'll find the ones at the shops only have something like permetherin of perhaps bifenthrin, something that wont knock out the colony unfortunately.
They multiply at such a rate even killing 5000 is a drop in the ocean to a colony.
You may as well chuck confetti at them. Seriously don't throw your money away buying this it just wont work.

Yep! Opened the rubbish bin the other morning. Thousands of them and piles of lavae just in a few days. And that isn't the main nest. That's there week ender.

Latest posts