Silver to Gold ratio is screaming at me !

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this a cuppla yrs ago goldfreak,we were out the backblocks checking new country,not one bit of gold was found,this was prob 4 deep and sounded like a little nugget deeper,first thought was silver but it could be some other mineral also,definetly natural but my first look through the loupe at it tonight it might be sulphides with silver or some mineral,someone might know?
Whatever it is its tiny also....
Pics taken through loupe threw ph,havent used our camera with macro for yrs sorry....
1535033044_c34a8c34-5401-42f5-a65a-06bb6b14d388.jpg

1535033045_11bdc3ef-36cd-442d-baeb-1d24c4d51822.jpg

1535033046_9145ab55-e47b-4905-9f64-875841855e6e.jpg

Thanks for the info ever one. In relation to Outbacks original post, does the gold silver ratio compared to price get affected by availability or has it become like my other paper based system as in its worth what people think it's worth ? Maybe extraction and processing it is easier ?

Outback said:
Fully agree with you Swinging & digging , just look at whats happening to the South African white farmers !

:argh:
I made the mistake of searching with Google images in relation to that topic. Some times there are things you don't really want to see and stay with you :( it's very real and very sad.

Outback said:
It now takes almost 82 ounces of silver to buy 1 ounce of Gold . this is sending a message :eek:

The actual amount of Silver still in the ground is roughly about 12 to 1 ratio to gold .
Scroll down here to see the live ratio action :
https://goldprice.org/gold-silver-ratio.html

Just checked the spot price of Silver in Aussie dollars ' it's under $20 an ounce !
Actual reserves of silver in the ground in Peru alone is nearly equivalent (in mass) to all gold mined on Earth throughout history (e.g. 95,000 tonnes). Australia has similar, Poland has similar...and on it goes. Total world silver reserves are around 540,000 tonnes, and the main reserves seem to be in a few countries only. Total 2017 gold mine reserves 54,000 tonnes. So consistent with your figures (perhaps 10 to 1, but no doubt it depends on the year).

There is one difference in the nature of the reserves. I suspect that most of the gold-producing mines would not be economic if gold was excluded, but the reverse would be true of silver. So silver production would remain significant even at times of lower silver prices but not so gold (not that this is likely to happen to the gold price). Another factor is that a silver-only mine would require nearly 100 times the grade of a gold mine to return the same dollars per tonne of metal (most mines producing silver - e.g. in Australia and Poland - don't have a fraction of that silver grade, and depend on the other base metals present - copper, lead, zinc - for their income).

Not a disagreement - just FYI from figures that I had to hand.

I'm still missing the significance of the original post. If someone can explain it to me like I was 10 that would be great. Forgive my ignorance.

I knew my school was poor. It's now been confirmed. These kids and their fancy eggs. The only eggs I got to look forward to were the hard boiled kind. Toast if I was lucky.

GSR: Gold to Silver ratio,
How many ounces of silver to purchase 1 ounce of gold, historically it was a ratio of around 15 to 1.
For some strange reason Silver, ( It is produced as a by product in many mines, there are very few primary Silver mines these days ) is sold at less than the actual mining and production cost and over time silver is consumed, much has been waisted in scrap electronics
and now buried in landfills and is uneconomic to recover.

It is believed that if the dynamics for Silver Investing were to change, Investors could make better gains out of Silver than Gold, if Silver was priced taking into account, its usefulness, rarity & production costs its value would be much higher than it is now. It has been named the most unvalued asset of all time.

https://youtu.be/-IiarVvZguY

Latest posts