Shoalhaven river gold per tonne.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just out of curiosity what sort of weight in gold (on average) comes out of the shoalhaven river per tonne of gravel sluiced? Anyone got any statistics?
Cheers nick.

Nick,

Funny you should ask that question, I have pondered the same question for a while, - lets say a tonne is 1/2 cubic meter or thereabouts then I have seen spots produce 2-3 grams per cubic meter and some spots only 0.5 grams per cubic meter , having said that the benchmark in Alaska for commercial mining is about 0.25 grams per cubic yard or about 10-12 USD, On average you could say Oallen is good for about 1-2 gram per cubic meter I reckon. Americans would think they are in heaven if they came out here but it wouldn't happen due to the green tint in our politics and the fact that the shoalhaven is a domestic water source.

Cheers

Barry

parts of the Shoalhaven tested at 14 grams per tonne however the technology of dredges used up to 1904 were unable to retain the fine gold and had loss rates around 94 %

yes . losses of 94 %

there are currently dredging operations planned for the shoalhaven but only for deepening the channel for flood mitigation.

feel free to stand at the 12 inch discharge pipe with a pan though if you want to try your luck.

That is correct HeadsUp.
A wise man of Canberra and knowledge of bankers told me what happened. :D
They imported a Canadian dredge over and ran it until they got sick of salvaging
and repairing it after flooding.
It was only at the end that they woke up to the fact that they did not change the sluice configuration for flour gold.
The Canadian Dredges were set up for chunky stuff, Not fly poo stuff. LOL
That is why the Hoffman's and Parker guys are doing well going over dredge tailing's.
And Tony Beets has been starting to do well with his dredge.
Look what they did with the over burden and sluice box's.

And I have recovered anything from .08 to 5 grams a day Walbankering.
If you do your detective work and think how gold is deposited in a river like
The Shoalhaven, It is rather good fun with a pleasant reward.

Latest posts