Sexual Assault Victims Gagged

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be very strange if it is true. However I am a bit doubtful that it is - notably absent is any mention of reporters asking the government to explain, or of actual wording of the act. One reason to wonder is the government response to changes....

"In response to the Commissions recommendations, the government will develop reforms to clarify and improve the law of contempt, so that what is prohibited through contempt laws is no broader than necessary, and so that the law of contempt does not lead to people being punished who have taken reasonable care to do the right thing. The serious consequences of a contempt conviction for individual journalists and media participants demands nothing less. The government also commits to modernising the Judicial Proceedings Reports Act 1958. In particular, the government supports the rights of victims to tell their stories..............The Department of Justice and Community Safety will look at the Commissions recommendations on this issue as a priority, and if reforms are needed to ensure these laws are effective, amendments will be urgently introduced. As part of these reforms, government will consider changes to certain categories of contempt, including scandalising contempt, and ensure that reforms to allow victims of sexual offences to tell their stories operate effectively. The government will also closely review the enforcement of suppression orders in the internet age and raise this with other jurisdictions as appropriate. These reforms will be developed in line with the governments longstanding commitment to freedom of expression and freedom of the press. Such freedoms should, in our democracy, only be limited where there is a compelling justification, such as victim privacy and avoiding retraumatisation of those affected by crime, or the proper administration of justice".

The press reports and this response by government are so markedly at odds with each other, that I will wait for further clarification before assuming the press report is correct.

https://www.justice.vic.gov.au/just...form-commission-contempt-of-court-report-2020

Also, I can't find any report of a change of law occurring in February, simply a 2-year committee report on recommendations being given to parliament in February:

https://lawreform.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/VLRC_Contempt_of_Court_report_forWeb.pdf

My suspicion is that it is a beat-up to sell papers, but time will tell.

What bothers me is when they release a multiple repeat offender back in the community then won't give a description of what he looks like. Makes you wonder who they are working for :mad:

Goldfreak said:
What bothers me is when they release a multiple repeat offender back in the community then won't give a description of what he looks like. Makes you wonder who they are working for :mad:

"Contrary to popular belief, as a group, sex offenders have the lowest rate of recidivism of all the crime categories. These statistics completely fly in the face of conventional wisdom about sex offenders being the most likely group of criminals to re-offend for their initial crime, but these are the facts".

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sex-offenders-recidivism_b_976765

I suspect the problem is extra police work involving assaults and even murder, inability to find jobs and housing (costing the government money). So who would have them in their community? In practice I imagine the problems exceed the advantages. However you say "multiple" and I think most people would agree in that case - I suspect it is the few who repeatedly offend that we most hear about..

goldierocks said:
Goldfreak said:

"Contrary to popular belief, as a group, sex offenders have the lowest rate of recidivism of all the crime categories. These statistics completely fly in the face of conventional wisdom about sex offenders being the most likely group of criminals to re-offend for their initial crime, but these are the facts".

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sex-offenders-recidivism_b_976765

I suspect the problem is extra police work involving assaults and even murder, inability to find jobs and housing (costing the government money). So who would have them in their community? In practice I imagine the problems exceed the advantages. However you say "multiple" and I think most people would agree in that case - I suspect it is the few who repeatedly offend that we most hear about..

Police estimate that kid rapists average 200 victims before being caught "the first time"

A victim in victoria published his name recently and triggered other victims from the same school to come forwards and lodge complaints against that offender.

They didnt come forwards prior because like many others , they felt alone and powerless and thought police wouldnt do anything.

jahan said:

There were investigations in the 1970's and 1980's into magistrates , police and politicians who were accused by multiple victims but none of them were ever prosecuted.

Two of the victims were "found deceased"

It appears some things have improved but how on earth did G.P (rhymes with bell ? Dell ? Smell ?) get out of jail if he didnt roll over and give up the names of 28 fellow offenders ?

Why have they not been convicted yet ?

Two of them recently "retired from their chosen profession"

Come on Victoria, stand up to these bastards and let them know the victim is a VICTIM, the offender is not a victim.